Orleans Orbit removal

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

The Orbit is most likely, 99%, NOT being removed. I went there today, and there was a sign in front of the ride that said, "please excuse our mess, as we are remodeling". The entire ride was still there, everything was still intact. And there was a wooden wall around it. They'll probably change the name of it and give it a complete makeover. Maybe like what they're doing to the former Whirlwind at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, CA. It's being moved under the boardwalk and it's going to be called Whipeout.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

dpxtreme wrote:The Orbit is most likely, 99%, NOT being removed. I went there today, and there was a sign in front of the ride that said, "please excuse our mess, as we are remodeling". The entire ride was still there, everything was still intact. And there was a wooden wall around it. They'll probably change the name of it and give it a complete makeover. Maybe like what they're doing to the former Whirlwind at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, CA. It's being moved under the boardwalk and it's going to be called Whipeout.
Really?!, If your right I would be vary happy, but it sounds weird...
On the 2005 season map they left Triple Play's picture, but didn't label it... so why would they take the time to get the Orbit off the map if they were going to renovate it...
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

that_guy wrote:
dpxtreme wrote:The Orbit is most likely, 99%, NOT being removed. I went there today, and there was a sign in front of the ride that said, "please excuse our mess, as we are remodeling". The entire ride was still there, everything was still intact. And there was a wooden wall around it. They'll probably change the name of it and give it a complete makeover. Maybe like what they're doing to the former Whirlwind at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Santa Cruz, CA. It's being moved under the boardwalk and it's going to be called Whipeout.
On the 2005 season map they left Triple Play's picture, but didn't label it... so why would they take the time to get the Orbit off the map if they were going to renovate it...
Because if someone wants to ride the Orbit, and it's still on the park map, and they walk all the way over to ride it, and they find out it's closed for the entire season for renovation, they would be like, "WTF?, it shows it on the park map. How come it's closed?". Does that make sense?
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

dpxtreme wrote:
that_guy wrote:
Because if someone wants to ride the Orbit, and it's still on the park map, and they walk all the way over to ride it, and they find out it's closed for the entire season for renovation, they would be like, "WTF?, it shows it on the park map. How come it's closed?". Does that make sense?
Yeah, but it just sounds like them to leave on like they did with Triple Play, and it wasn't even in renovation, even though it wasn't as popular or noticed... they could have at least put something like opens late summer or something on the map, lol, I don't know, I'm just skeptical about it being saved. Do you really think its going to be in renovation for the whole season?
Last edited by that_guy on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Thanks for the update, it's good to know that the ride is there..... although it was mentioned earlier that Park officials said the ride was gone. So now we have to wonder are they just slow to remove it or are they really going to remodel it :?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I dont know why there are two threads on this topic, but if read the other thread you will see the Steven said the he has received confirmation that 2005 was the last season for Orleans Orbit

:arrow: http://www.greatamericaparks.com/forums ... 65&start=0

Last edited by redfishpaw on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

Maybe what actually happened is similar to what happened with the Whizzer where public outcry convinced park officials that renovating it and keeping it was a good idea?

(I agree though that this discussion really belongs on the other thread, so this is my LAST post on this one...)
PizzaOrleans'78
Buzzy Bee

Post by PizzaOrleans'78 »

Progress is not always perfect.

I have vague memories of that ride as we walked out of the park after a 7PM to 2AM closing shift...

I have vague memories for most of 1978, actually... :wink:
ElkGroveGroovin
Gulf Coaster

Post by ElkGroveGroovin »

Aww memories. This was the very first ride I ever operated for my first job ever. It's sad to see it go. :(
segerken
Gulf Coaster

Post by segerken »

Here are my memories, which aren't good, of the Orbit.

1) Always got sick, though not enough to barf, when I rode it.

2) More dried barf on it then any other ride that I had to clean during
the half summer in the 70's when I was on the ride cleanup crew in
Santa Clara.

Though, it is sad to see an original ride disapear.
soupkid
Gulf Coaster

Post by soupkid »

[quote="Glorfindel7"]Maybe what actually happened is similar to what happened with the Whizzer where public outcry convinced park officials that renovating it and keeping it was a good idea?

But the Whizzer WAS taken out.

Soupkid
Security 1985-1988
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

^They meant the Gurnee Whizzer
Station1
Gulf Coaster

Post by Station1 »

Back to February 2006...The Orbit was never moved for the construction of RR Rapids...I believe they closed it towards the end of the 1987 season due to construction of RRR but it was operating the second or third weekend into 1988. I think that was when they painted the cabins black, and the year prior they were still grey/silver.

I also remember we had to call 9111 when the power went out in the park as the Orbit was coming down and it SLAMMED to the ground injuring a lady...I knew it was going to happen as I was walking away and it made that noise of the hydraulics overloading...not sure if ended up being serious as she walked away with the EMT's. They probably gave her a free coupon for cotton candy at Sticky Fingers.
84-85 Area Host - Hometown
86-87 Rides - Whizzer (86) Revolution (87)
1987 Rides - New Orleans (Rue/Delta/Orbit)
88-89 Rides - New Orleans (" " RR Rapids)
89-95 Loss Prevention - Station One
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I have high hopes that the Orbit will stay at the park with Cedar Fair in control. Anyways decided to post a picture since I had nothing better to do, from the 06 season:

http://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 021ju0.jpg

Anything look out of the ordinary?
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

http://multimedia.paramountparks.net/gr ... ga_map.pdf

Great America has posted the 2007 Park Map. Orbit is officially back :D
It's Whizzer time!