What ride do you miss the most?

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

What ride do you miss the most?

Post by Glorfindel7 »

It's been awhile since I've seen a new post, so I'm starting this one...

What ride that is no longer at the parks do you miss the most (and what do you remember most about it)?

For me it would have to be the "Sky Whirl". I can remember when I was a little boy that as we approached the park it would be ONE of the first things we would be able to see. (And one of the last things leaving). I must have rode it only a couple dozen times (most times the lines would be too long to wait and the ride itself was at least 8 minutes long!)

I remember one particular day in 1985 during the rain where it was one of the only rides open. I remember riding single with a couple of other people, they were all wearing the rain parkas purchased at the park. It was about 65 degrees or so and I had no coat on! Needless to say riding the Sky Whirl in the rain does NOT keep you dry, no matter if the cabins are covered :D )
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

From the Marriott rides I miss Sky Whirl the most. Sky Whirl was a fun ride and it was also awesome to look at. I used to stare at it trying to figure out how it worked and how someone thought of the design. I think Intamin only built a few triple wheels and its a shame such a great ride is gone.

From the Six Flags rides I miss ShockWave the most. On the way to the park I used to get excited when I could see ShockWave in the distance. Every time the car was parked we used to sit there and watch a few trains go down the drop. I also loved the view of ShockWave from Sky Trek Tower. I was very excited when I was finally tall enough to ride and loved it right away. It was a very sad day when I saw ShockWave getting torn down.

When I talked to the GM Jim Wintrode in August 2002 I asked him why Shockwave was closed. He told me that it needed maintenance but then let his true feelings come out. Jim said when he first started working at the park in 88 he hated ShockWave and had aver since. He thought it was the worst roller coaster and it was a mistake to add it to the park. Besides being sad when ShockWave was torn down I was also angry and I still and because I know thats what Jim wanted. What also makes me angry is that ShockWave was replaced by Superman. I knew 2 years earlier that Superman was going to be installed but I thought it was going to be where Hurricane Harbor is now. Superman is a terrible ride and its a shame ShockWave was torn down for it.
Go Bears!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Marriott Era:
Hay Baler and Sky Whirl. 2 great family rides torn down for a giant green and blue fun POS lawn ornament.

Six Flags Era:
Shockwave and Power Dive.

[rant]And I have to agree with SFGAmfreak4life, Superman is the most disappointing coaster I have ever been on. It's too short, and the only fun element in the coaster is the Pretzel. The park has also neglected the ride pretty bad as the paint is noticeably fading away, what little scenery the ride has has been infested with yellow jacket nests and has had gum thrown at it, the Superman logos on the station were falling off this past season, and it doesn't fit in the Orleans Place area (well, neither did Shockwave). I would have to say that it is the most poorly themed superhero ride since SFNO's Batman the Ride.

I would have preferred a floorless or an Intamin Rocket Coaster.[/rant]
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Although I was too late to ride most of the Marriot era rides I really miss the Yankee Harbor area, especially the Tidal Wave and the Yankee Clipper. The whole area has just become a mish mash of different themes, attractions and buildings in both parks. What a dissapointment...
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

What ride do I miss the most? Wel, all of mine are from the Marriott era.

Sky Whirl: To echo what others have said, Sky Whirl is the ride that I miss the most. It was a wonderful ride for young and old guests alike, and gave a wonderful view of the park and surrounding area. On a hot day, it was a good way to relax and cool off as well. I also loved to watch it run, as it was such a marvel to watch it operate.

Eagles Flight / Delta Flyer: I always loved seeing the park from above. It also made getting from one end of the park to the other much easier. Like Sky Whirl, it did give you a chance to relax and feel the breeze to cool off.

Southern Cross: Like the other two above, it was another way to see the park from the air. However, this ride has a special place with me....it was 1980, and construction was underway on the new for 1981 coaster. On the way out to the turn around point, my family and I tried to guess the name of the new coaster. At this point, most of the ride was complete, and already painted white. We guessed names like "Whie Cloud", "Blizzard", "Winter Storm", etc. I said we should ask the guy at the end if he knew the name...my folks said that was a dumb idea, but I asked anyway. The guy told me "Its called The American Eagle".
Its funny, as I don't remember anything else about the building of the Eagle except that one event. I think that is one reason why I feel Eagle is the best ride in the park.

--Brian
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
Mr. D.T.
Yankee Clipper

Post by Mr. D.T. »

Shock Wave: That used to be like the taller brother to the Demon. It had more loops and higher drops. I still prefer that to Superman.

Haybaler: Not the best ride but still was a classic. It added to the County Fair feel.

Sky Whirl: Now THAT was a one-of-a-kind ride. The park has not been the same without the sound of the whirring fan was silenced.
"Park Base to Unit 100 and all base stations please be advised.....we have the 4 O'Clock 1085. A. 1.4; B. 23.5; C. 28.7; D. 5.1. The temperature is 77 degrees.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Recently found this video of Sky Whirl on youtube for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr6w3R5SM5Q

I must say, they did a good job keeping Sky Whirl's whirring out of the Beverly Hills Cop 3 movie.
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Santa Clara Park:

Marriott Era: Triple Play, Greased Lightnin', and Yankee Clipper

KECO-Paramount's Era: Stealth

One thing I wish I could've ridden if I was tall enough was The Edge.

And although people bash Santa Clara Great America for getting rid of most of their Marriot rides, they have been extremely smart in keeping Delta Flyer/Eagle's Flight unlike SFGam.
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

that_guy wrote:Recently found this video of Sky Whirl on youtube for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr6w3R5SM5Q

I must say, they did a good job keeping Sky Whirl's whirring out of the Beverly Hills Cop 3 movie.
Thank you for posting this, I was REALLY looking for something like this. Wonder if we could get permission from the author to post it on this site?
ElkGroveGroovin
Gulf Coaster

Post by ElkGroveGroovin »

Definitely Greased Lightning (Will always be Tidal Wave to me). It conquered my fear of going upside down on coasters. Thank God for that!
BillK
Gulf Coaster

Post by BillK »

Tidal Wave. It must have been nearly 20 years before I rode anything else with the same initial acceleration, and I can still remember the "flutterrrrr" sound the catapults made while the train was in the station…
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

I miss Tidal Wave and Sky Whirl. From the Marriott days through the first half of the Six Flags days, those rides were part of what DEFINED Great America. They were part of the landscape. And now they're gone... and the park hasn't ever been the same since.

I mean... change is good and all, but sometimes change really, really sucks! :cry:
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
LS202
Gulf Coaster

Post by LS202 »

Marriott days: I miss the train, Sky Whirl, bottoms up, triple play, Tidal Wave and willards whizzer

Oh and I also miss the shows and Bugs Bunny but thats a different post :D
Laura Carousel Souviners 85-86
GreatAmerica4ever
Yankee Clipper

Post by GreatAmerica4ever »

Sky-Whirl and Tidal Wave like the majority of you folks!

That tribute of the Sky-Whirl on You Tube is great. The music played with the clip is perfect. If only Six Flags' management knew what they took away from our childhood!!
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Post by tillenterprises »

I really really miss the Edge, Tidal Wave and Sky Whirl (I'm reallly surprised at how many of you also miss Sky Whirl) the most, and still get sad when I visit the park and walk by the places they used to stand. I also miss Z-Force. I liked that ride much more than Iron Wolf. Since Magic Mountain won't be opening it this year, I wish they could bring it back to Gurnee!