5-22-77

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
xxlatinogueroxx
Yankee Clipper

5-22-77

Post by xxlatinogueroxx »

Not sure if you guys saw this but...this movie right here talks about the wadsworth area in 1977. It deals about these movie geeks trying to make a movie but hte point of the topic is that it takes place in wadsworth. Its a true story, they mention Warren High School and the Genesse theatre, which used to and regained its central tourism in Waukegan. Now the school the kids are in is actually at Waukegan High School not Warren. They couldnt film it at Warren because there school is to new. If you look at the preview, you can see the eagle and dare devil dive in the background. take a look and let me know what you guys think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSlsxKjV ... 4568%2D99e
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

This was a topic on sfgamworlda few months ago. I dont think this was released in theaters but shown at a film festival. Im not sure though so I could be wrong.
Go Bears!
SixflagsGurneeBoy
Buzzy Bee

Cool!

Post by SixflagsGurneeBoy »

Waukegan High School is my old high school, i see the Waukegan area is becoming more attractive for the movie people. It doesnt seem like it was that long ago when Batman Begins was filmed on the Amstuz near downtown(not to far from Genessee Theatre). It was interesting to see the Eagle Helix/turnaround in the backround as well, you could also tell they were coming down washington street(alternate entrance for Great America) for that shot.
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Re: 5-22-77

Post by Tech Services 1 »

xxlatinogueroxx wrote:Not sure if you guys saw this but...this movie right here talks about the wadsworth area in 1977 . . .
How can a movie set in 1977 show the American Eagle coaster??
:?

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by MGA1 »

Did Warren H.S. get a new building since 1977? I'm pretty sure I remember that high school kids from the Gurnee area attended Warren H.S. back in 1977 when I was an Area Host at the park.

Also, I never heard of this movie before. Has anyone seen it? Is it available on DVD? Is there any more scenes of Great America in it?
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
xxlatinogueroxx
Yankee Clipper

Yeah..the oplain campus is now fresh/ soph and the almond campus is junior and senior. The almond campus was opened in the 90s I think...one of the buildings burned down...not sure which one I believe it is the oplaine campus
Im an outgoing guy. I like to have fun, party, and chill with my friends. Im a Senior at Waukegan and plan on going to NIU 07!
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by MGA1 »

Thanks for the update & good luck at NIU....go Huskies!

I remember MGA having some problems with a few kids from Warren H.S. out in the parking lot back in 1981. In the mornings, a couple guys from the parking lot crew would stand out on the entrance road between Grand Avenue and the parking lot Toll Booths and help direct the incoming traffic to keep it moving smoothly. While they were standing there, these kids from Warren H.S. would hide out on the berms (landscaped hills) on the sides of the road and shoot bottle rockets at the parking lot guys. Eventually two of the parking lot guys got ticked off enough and went and chased the kids down & eventually caught one and beat the crap out of that kid...that's how we found out who the kids were & where they went to school. Not that the park condoned chasing the kids or beating them up but the official incident report said that the parking lot leads chased the kids and one kid "tripped, tumbled down the hill, and injured himself" which allowed the parking lot leads to catch him.
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Pat Johnson worked at MGA!!!

Post by MGA1 »

Hey all,

After reading this thread and watching the 5-25-77 trailer and hearing "you'll still be Pat Johnson...", a memory came back to me of meeting a MGA employee back in '78 named "Pat Johnson". I met him at an employee event back in '78...I'm pretty sure it was the Tidal Wave employee night party.

I sent an email to Moonwatcher productions (the 5-25-77 producer) and got a reply directly from Patrick. Patrick confirmed that he worked at Great America in '78 and '79 as one of the Amazing Alfredos (the guys that guess your weight, age, or birth month). They used to have locations in the park in Orleans Place and also in County Fair.

I can't say I knew him well...I only met him once & said hi a couple times after that passing on the service corridor or in the cafeteria. Still, I'm even more excited about the upcoming theatrical release....hopefully this Fall?
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

You can also see a little bit of Raging Bull also.
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)
xxlatinogueroxx
Yankee Clipper

Waukegan was my old hihg school too graduated in 2007.
Interesting to see this video though I havnt seen this clip in so long. Heres a side note, a rather sad one. In the beginning of the trailer there is a kid sitting with a bandanna looking bored in class with his head on his hand. He used to be my company commander in JROTC my freshmen year. He died about 2 years ago.
Im an outgoing guy. I like to have fun, party, and chill with my friends. Im a Senior at Waukegan and plan on going to NIU 07!
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by MGA1 »

That's really sad to hear...he never got to see the movie get released.

The film's name has been shorted to '77 and it debuted at the Hamptons International Film Festival in October 2008 but it still was not 100% complete. Since that time, I haven't seen/heard anything about it.

This looks like such a great film; I just wish it would finally get released. The live action scenes were filmed 5 years ago. The high school kids (actors) in the film will be bringing their own children to see the film by the time it's finally released! BTW, I heard some scenes were filmed inside Great America!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Re: 5-22-77

Post by jonrev »

Pardon the necropost... this film was finally released last year, after 18 years in production. Great America does make a few appearances. It will screen locally in a double-feature with Star Wars on May 20th, at the old Belvidere Mall Cinema in Waukegan: https://reelchicago.com/article/star-wa ... e-with-qa/

New trailer
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007