What ride do you miss the most?

General discussion about Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Post by tillenterprises »

So... am I the only one so far who misses the EDGE?
Cheesehead Dave
Yankee Clipper

Post by Cheesehead Dave »

I actually never got to ride the Edge while it was installed at GA. I did ride Demon Drop once at Cedar Point. It was nice, but I like Giant Drop a lot better.

I miss Tidal Wave the most, and Cajun Cliffhanger a bit as well.
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

I miss Tidal Wave. It was one of my first looping coasters (Demon's my first, but it's still there).
I miss Tidal Wave
saturn93
Buzzy Bee

What I Miss

Post by saturn93 »

Definitely Sky Whirl - The sound of the cages going around, being able to see what is on the other side of I-94. This was always the last ride for us.

I also remember the lights for Tidal Wave - White and not moving, then blue and moving, finally, white and moving.
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Cheesehead Dave wrote:I actually never got to ride the Edge while it was installed at GA. I did ride Demon Drop once at Cedar Point. It was nice, but I like Giant Drop a lot better.

I miss Tidal Wave the most, and Cajun Cliffhanger a bit as well.
The Giant Drop is great, too, but the Edge offered a totally unique experience- like going up in an elevator out of control, and being pushed over the edge of a building. Just because both rides offer a freefall element, they are both unique in their own way. Taking the first generation freefall out simply because a park has a drop tower doesn't make sense- that's like saying "we already have a roller coaster with a loop, so we don't need another coaster with a loop." I'm glad Cedar Point and SFOT have kept their freefall rides, even though both parks have a newer drop tower. BTW, there's a older game for Playstation 2 called City Crisis in which you conduct helicopter rescues in the heart of a major city. In the middle of the city is an amusement park, with an Edge-style freefall ride, right next to a Giant Drop-style freefall ride! :P
Morgansupertech
Gulf Coaster

Post by Morgansupertech »

Tidal Wave, Triple Play and Days of Thunder in the Action FX Theater.
I remember staying on Tidal Wave for 5 times in a row because there was no line, and then almost barfing up my funnel cake all over my friend. I LOOOOVED Triple Play. I remember reaching out and trying to grab leaves of the trees next to it and making faces at the people on Vortex. I remember riding Top Gun and then running over to Action FX and ridding Top Gun 2: Days of Thunder. Hahahaha…good times.
WestBurbs14
Yankee Clipper

Missed Rides in Gurnee

Post by WestBurbs14 »

I miss the Tidal Wave most of all, but also the sky rides - Eagle/Delta and Southern Cross.

I miss the appearance of the Sky Whirl, but honestly I don't miss riding it much. I think I only rode it once, and it was o.k., but as far as ride time went, it really only needed to be a double wheel like the one Kings Island had.
WestBurbs14
Yankee Clipper

Oh, yeah, and the Edge, too

Post by WestBurbs14 »

I just saw the post that mentioned the Edge, and yes, that was a good one too. If you ever get to Six Flags over Texas, they still have theirs, called the Wildcatter.
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

^Not anymore. Wildcatter is on it's way out for Tony Hawk's Big Spin for 2008. It talks all about this on screamscape.
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

dpxtreme wrote:^Not anymore. Wildcatter is on it's way out for Tony Hawk's Big Spin for 2008. It talks all about this on screamscape.
Yeah, I know, and I'm not happy. The Wildcatter was the first freefall ride of that type in the country (the Edge at Great America was an exact clone of that and came a year later in '83), and I was hoping that Six Flags Over Texas would keep it, since they seem to care more about preserving the classic rides while adding new ones. Good thing I made it down there in April and rode it one last time. Besides, they already have a Big Spin a few hours down the road in San Antonio. I hope that Cedar Point at least keeps Demon Drop for awhile so I can get my "Edge" fix.
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

For me I miss the Sky Whirl and the Haybaler the most. :(
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

I know this isn't an orginal Marriott's ride or anything, but I really mis Trailblazer! I remember it giving me that awesome feeling every time it went down. It was fun but not too thrilling. It was just right! I like thrills too though but this flat was just amazing! Best flat out there for me 100%! Does anybody know where I can ride one just like it? Thanks.
Whatta day! Whatta place!

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

The one's at the carnivals are a lot better than the trailblazer. The 1001 natchts is a lot better than the trailblazer for one reason. I didn't like the fact that the trailblazer just went straight up instead of building up speed then going over. That was my only problem with the trailblazer. It was an ok ride nothing amazing.
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

^Well I guess we just have different opinions. The more I think about it, I actually been on one in Boone County Fair before and it was slow, and didn't last very long. It went up pretty high though for a carnival ride! I apologize for going off-topic here. Anyways, I also miss Shockwave! I've never actually been on it but it always brightened me up hearing it and seeing it run! :D
Whatta day! Whatta place!

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

Now that I think about it does anyone remember a ride called the "Hilltopper" or the "American Revolution? I don't really miss it, I think I only got on it once or twice.

Now Davy Jones Dinghys might have been a nice ride to try out and I missed that one.... :(