Great America makes huge announcement for 2008-9

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Great America makes huge announcement for 2008-9

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 0503&EDATE

As rumored, the park has been renamed California's Great America.

New for next year will be FireFall made by HUSS. Doesn't say what type of ride it is, but the description pretty much confims it is a Top Spin as rumored (probably GL's).

Also next year, a new ice skating show in the former Paramount Theater, which has been renamed "Great America Theater".

Also, they officially announced Halloween Haunt for next year.

The big part of the announcement is 2009. They are adding a 104 foot tall, 52mph GCI wooden coaster. The ride will feature a low to the ground S-curve and a high-speed station fly-by.

Nothing was mentioned about where either ride is being built. Even though I've never been to CGA, it is nice to hear good news coming from the park for once. Hopefully I'll make it out there eventually
It's Whizzer time!
ElkGroveGroovin
Gulf Coaster

Post by ElkGroveGroovin »

Wow! Finally a huge step in the right direction! It's great to see the new "CGA" reverting slowly back to what it used to be with longer operating hours in the summer, a new thrill ride other than Boomerang Bay, a new wooden coaster in 2009 & the return of the classic ice show at the new Great America "Paramount" theatre. Even the new logo with the Blue & Red color feels like a homage/tribute to the classic Marriott days. Since they'll be spending $14 million for the next 2 years shows CF isn't taking this park for granted. My biggest thought now is what Top Gun's new name will be... Here's to a new beginning
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

^A new beginning!

Now I have hope that Cedar Fair will do great things for this park! I'm really excited for the next two seasons.
I miss Tidal Wave
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

HAHA tooo **** COOL!!! I LIVE FOR CGA!! tells you cga aint goin' nowhere with those pesky 49rs :shock:
Morgansupertech
Gulf Coaster

Post by Morgansupertech »

Here are some pictures I took with my phone of the spot where FireFall will be. It is where the Tidal Wave line was.

ImageImage
This is what it looks like from the roof of American Cafe.Image
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Good to see they kept the house bridge. But I liked when all of those willow trees were there, but you can't ride trees, so Firefall is better. :D
Angry_Gumball
Gulf Coaster

Post by Angry_Gumball »

Wow...never realized all that space was there...let's just hope it isn't left all empty once the ride's put in.
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

Angry_Gumball wrote:Wow...never realized all that space was there...let's just hope it isn't left all empty once the ride's put in.
right across from the new ride there is a crapload of space for a sky swat :roll:

DPX i personaly wish that they would have removed the bridge to really tie in the whole American Plaza (or whatever its called) Park section.

oh and please keep posting pics!
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

^Good point, but it gives the park the option of re-themeing areas. And nothing in the "All-American Corners" section of the park has anything to do with the theme. I have a feeling they might do some renaming for the different "themed" areas soon. Because I remember when they has the Labor Day weekend fireworks, the announcement over the loud speaker referred to the enctrance as Carousel Plaza.

And I also did not realize there was that much land over there. Lots of land to Cedar Fair means lots of switchbacks and trashcans! :lol:
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

you forgot the concrete and the "win a car" stalls :wink:
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

eh, hopefully it will still look nice with the ride in place because that was a nice pond, lol Can't wait to see what happens!
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Since this topic if for 2008 and 2009, it shows the layout of the wooden coaster at the IAAPA show. It's custom and although it's only 100 feet tall, it looks long. http://www.screamscape.com/iaapa/html/iaapa_9.htm

It wraps around the Sky/Star Tower and leaves the Imax untouched. Interesting.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I like it, custom and without any removals, just what the park needs
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
Angry_Gumball
Gulf Coaster

Post by Angry_Gumball »

Time for some bumpage. We lost Top Gun, and are getting "Flight Deck" (I knew this was coming). Ofcourse, this is simply a renaming. Personally, I'm not crazy about it and the renaming is just plain wrong & generic. I'm now waiting for Endeavor to be renamed "Poop Deck"....j/k
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

More Like "Spit Deck" and i think i see some new trash cans in the employe lot out back :wink: