Wilderness Theater

All about the shows, music, and performers at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Wilderness Theater

Post by redfishpaw »

Is there anything going on with the Wilderness theater these days. I will take a wild guess that the SC Wilderness theater was removed and its former space is taken up by the expanded water park. The Gurnee Wilderness theater is still in tact as far as I can tell. I believe a special event was held there in June 05 (maybe dance fest??). When I looked at the situation in 2004 the wood fence at the entrance was still there and the gates were blocked. All of the former landscaping in front has been removed and is now an asphalt kiddie ride area. One thought I had was the theater may be used with the picnic grove now and then but I am not positive if there is a path between the two. Anyway, Im thinking this area may just be a waste of space these days also I'm guessing that they probably don't even put water in the pool anymore. Anybody have any thoughts?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

At Santa Clara, it's still there. It's now the Nickelodeon Theater, hosting the "Nick Live" show this season.

Steven
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Remember the landscaped waiting area MGA had outside the Wilderness theater. There used to be two or three large round black bird cages. At some point I the Gurnee park stopped keeping birds and the large cages were relocated to the Racine Zoo, about 1 hour north of Gurnee. The cages where at the Zoo for a very long time near on the bluff overlooking lake Michigan. I believe that these cages have been removed by now.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

The Gurnee Wilderness Theatre is used in Necropolis for Fright Fest.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

I've added a new Wilderness Theatre folder to my photo album.
Hope y'all like the old pics!

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Nice photos thanks for posting them. The aerial view from clipper lift is interesting as it shows the behind the sceens area . I like the winter photo as well.