Tidal Wave vs. Vertical Velocity

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
WestBurbs14
Yankee Clipper

Tidal Wave vs. Vertical Velocity

Post by WestBurbs14 »

I really enjoyed the Tidal Wave the few times I rode it, particularly going backwards. It felt like the train was getting sucked into oblivion as it slid down the large prong into the loop. And if I was lucky enough to ride in back, going up the small prong was a riot! Once when I rode in back, as we hit the highest point up the small prong the guy next to me shouted, "This ride is a @!#% trip!"

I've never ridden Vertical Velocity, but it seems similar to the Wave. Obviously the loop is missing, but if you've ridden both rides, I'd like to hear your comparison of the two.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Interesting comparision. I will definately say that V2 is a much better ride. It is a much more exciting ride than wave. The loop on wave added nothing. I dont like the way V2 was placed in Yankee Harbor, but for the sake of this topic. I will give thumbs up to V2. I'm also glad that Wave was replaced with Batman. I even worked on wave for a while, it was fun but I'm glad it was replaced with batman.
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Well, I've been on Tidal Wave at GA, adn both versions of Vertical velocity at SFDK. V2's both versions are a lot more exciting than Tidal Wave. V2 has a lot stronger launch and I like the fact that it goes back and forth more than once.
coasterfan71555
Gulf Coaster

Post by coasterfan71555 »

I have very fond memories of Tidal Wave, as it was the ride on which my love of riding roller coasters began! My favorite seat was in the last car because of going so high up on the rear spike. I rode it on its last night in operation, Labor Day, 1991. I now list V2 as one of my top 3 coasters at SFGAm. I often look over at Batman as I wait for my ride, and remember my old friend TW. But times change, and Batman was a worthy replacement. I love the way V2 was placed! It fits in perfectly and nothing but the lighthouse was lost. I can say that while TW was a thrill, it does not compare with the rush provided by V2. Row 2 is my fave seat on V2. So, V2 wins in my poll, but TW will always hold a special place in my heart! (And, if I want, I can still ride it, as long as I can get to SF Kentucky Kingdom!) :D
What a day, what a place! What a smile on my face! My first visit was June 21, 1976, when I was less than a month from turning 21!
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Post by tillenterprises »

I will go against the trend here and vote for Tidal Wave. The twisted track on V2 looks much scarier than it is, and even riding in the front seat, never once did I ever feel like we would hit or go off the dead end. However, on Tidal Wave in the front, I still feel like it's the end of the line and we're all doomed on the front dead end spike! :D I went to SFKK last year and this year mainly to ride Tidal Wave again- along with the Edge and Sky Whirl, I miss the Tidal Wave terribly. As for V2, I would suggest painting it Tidal Wave colors- light and dark blue and renaming it Tidal Wave 2 (or T2 instead of V2!). At least then it would fit the theme of Yankee Harbor, and it does resemble a huge wave anyway.

Now that I think about it, the back end spike with the holding brake is fun on V2, though... So, can I vote for Tidal Wave for everything forward of the station, and V2 for the back end spike??? :?
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Tidal Wave. I loved the loop so much and you get hangtime no matter where you sit. V2 is only good in the first or last row.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
rossrich66
Buzzy Bee

Tidal Wave vs V2

Post by rossrich66 »

I'd have to say my vote goes to the Tidal Wave. I've never been on V2 at SF Great America, but I've gone on the one at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (the altered version) as well as the one that was at Six Flags Ohio/Geauga Lake when it was still there (Superman themed). Although V2 is a great ride, for me nostalgia wins out. Tidal Wave was a a great intense ride for its time and the fact that there aren't many of these classic Schwarzkopf coasters left, only strengthens my vote. Finally, I survived the Tidal Wave on opening day in 1977 at MGA in Santa Clara....what else can I say?
I survived the Tidal Wave on opening day in 1977!
stockboy300
Buzzy Bee

Post by stockboy300 »

V2, Back car spike free fall is incredible.
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

I wasn't old enough to ride Tidal Wave. But I love V2 though! It's my 3rd favorite coaster.
Whatta day! Whatta place!

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

Ya stole my avatar ttd. I miss the wave. wellp, off to Kentucky! Everybody pile in!
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
bigb7965
Buzzy Bee

Post by bigb7965 »

i think V2 is at least 2x better than Greezed Lightning
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

I don't think so....
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

bigb7965 wrote:i think V2 is at least 2x better than Greezed Lightning
I have to disagree... There was just something about the rush that you get racing toward that loop that the V2 just doesn't duplicate.

Plus it's a different kind of motion, pull versus push... pull ALWAYS generates more force.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

Yup, sometimes speed isn't everything.
CoasterComet
Gulf Coaster

Post by CoasterComet »

I'll take Tidal Wave/Greezed' Lightnin' (whatever it's called) anyday over the Intamin impulse.

The new Intamin ride(s) is(are) great, but nothing like a wild free wheelin' ride on an older lap bar only looper! I rode the hell outta that thing last summer at Kentucky Kingdom. Was there 2 times during a trip to Florida.

The 2nd time we were there (the 'accident' day) my bud Brian (who really wanted to get back to Chicago before midnight) had to nearly pull me off of that ride. There was no line, it was just stay in your seat or pick a new one.

The newer Intamin's aren't as much 'fun' as they are impressive to look at/watch/ride once. Those nasty OTSRestraints, although better than Vekoma/Arrow, etc., still dull the fun for me. (and sometimes, increase the pain).