The Plush Horse attic

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

The Plush Horse attic

Post by MGA1 »

There was a small merchandise shop called "The Plush Horse" in County Fair located across from the Eagle's Flight station. It sold stuffed animals...mostly Looney Tunes character merchandise and some carousel horse figurines. I always thought that was a very clever name for the store since stuffed animals are known as "plush" in the amusement park business.

Anyway, there was an attic space above The Plush Horse shop where some of the plush was stocked in inventory including many of the really big stuffed animals they sold in the store below. It looked like a small second floor from the outside of the building but it was just an unfinished attic space inside. Curtains covered the windows and an ugly lamp in front of the window turned on each night so it looked like it was a real apartment from outside.

I remember hearing a story during employee orientation that the attic was haunted and you could sometimes hear the ghosts moving around from inside the store below when nobody was in the attic. Later I heard rumors about employees sneaking up in the attic during breaks and having sex with each other on top of the stuffed animals. I can't confirm either rumor is true but I did see non-merchandise employees going up or coming down the stairs behind the store from time to time.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
HoneyBunny
Gulf Coaster

Post by HoneyBunny »

That is an awesome story! I wonder if the hauntings are true, who the ghost would be. Are there any accounts of death in or near the building? Is the building still there today? If not, what is there in its place?
"How much money you got left?"
"$2.50, why?"
"Buy me a twicket!"
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by MGA1 »

Back when I first heard the story about the ghosts in the attic, I half-believed it. After I heard the rumor about people doing it in the attic, I figured the noises people heard below in the store weren't made by ghosts.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

Been a long time since I've posted here... :)

I used to work in the park's Cash Control office, and there used to be a pickup drop box in that store room. I remember it was always a rather creepy place - never knew why. I had never heard of the "haunted" rumors, but anytime I had that pickup route I always tried to make it quick.

Interesting to hear this now. Hmmmm!!

:twisted:
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
coasterfan25
Buzzy Bee

Re: The Plush Horse attic

Post by coasterfan25 »

Yes the building is still there and completely in tact. However it has been completely remodeled and is now called the M&M Emporium. As for the attic I am not sure if it has also been remodeled or still remains in tact from the Marriott days of the park? I would be very interested to find out though. Next time Im at the park Ill look closer at the building however I am almost possative I did not see any sort or light or anything in a window above the store front? The building that is directly across which used to be the main station for Delta Flyer/Eagles Flight is now a sort of restaurant called Funnel Cake Foundry.
See you on the Midways, Bradley
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

Re: The Plush Horse attic

Post by jimmy gimbels »

Other haunted places in the park....the second floor above the 2010 location of Trudy's Sweet Shop. The room contains sound equipment and is storage for gift shops. Lots of things going bump in the night....but might have been crew members.