Sky Whirl cabins

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I'm sure that they would make more if there were any customers. It's just that parks are not interested in this kind of ride these days. We are lucky that Marriott was so idealistic back in the day and wanted to feature the world's first triple Ferris wheel in its new parks and asked Intamin to design them. That's the only reason why we ever had these rides.

It's really a shame that these triple wheels were killed off just a few years too soon before the renewed interest in catering to families in the theme park business. These wheels were a terrific family ride. They were huge, daunting, and exciting to see, but were actually gentle enough that the entire extended family could ride together -- from infant to grandparent, all in the same cabin. Had the interest in serving families resumed before these wheels were destroyed, they might have been kept in service. Nowadays, even with the renewed emphasis on family attractions, it's rare to see a park want to spend big money on a major ride of this type.

Intamin continued to list these in their ride catalogs -- under the sexy name of "Tree Triple Wheel" -- for ages without any buyers. They finally dropped them from their list of offerings. But as always, money talks...so if anyone with enough green dollars asked for a new one, it would surely be delivered.

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

^ Any guesses of how much they would cost today?
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
SantaClara82to87
Buzzy Bee

Post by SantaClara82to87 »

If you have a good size backyard, you could arrange them around a firepit, or an outdoor fireplace. Put a small shelf or table around the pole, or along the outside for drinks and snacks, then let me know what I need to bring to the party :D

The other thought I had is to put one in the middle of a pool on a small island, where you would have to swim or wade out to it.

Brian
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

I wish I had one of the Sky Whirl cages. This year i'll go to Six Flags and take some pictures in the Sky Whirl cabins that they have out for fright fest.
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

I got to see them finally from the Railway and Loggers run. Only saw four of them and they are all painted black.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

yankee Clipper91 wrote:I got to see them finally from the Railway and Loggers run. Only saw four of them and they are all painted black.
They were painted black for fright fest
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Yeah I know that the last time I saw them was back in 2006.
HoneyBunny
Gulf Coaster

Post by HoneyBunny »

What exactly do they do with them for Fright Fest? I have never been to FF before but I think I will go this year. I had moved out of the area for 15 years or so, this is my first year back since 1990, so I'm looking forward to going....but the changes sadden me as they do most of us.
"How much money you got left?"
"$2.50, why?"
"Buy me a twicket!"
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

They are just used as decorations also I heard they use a haybaler car too.
HoneyBunny
Gulf Coaster

Post by HoneyBunny »

It would be cool if they had one of every defunct ride since Marriott's in a kind of "graveyard" area. Have a tombstone by each one with the ride dates (birth and death) I dunno, just rambling.
"How much money you got left?"
"$2.50, why?"
"Buy me a twicket!"
Arrow Guy
Gulf Coaster

Post by Arrow Guy »

That's a great idea! Cedar Point does a tombstone for its former rides and managers. It's a nice touch, and always fun to listen to comments from people that remember Jumbo Jet, Rotor, etc.

Question is, would TOTC get one? :D
Brad Sherman
Coaster modeler and overall park addict
Only 3 hours from Gurnee's Tidal Wave!
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

scrap

Post by jimmy gimbels »

I wonder if six flaggs is still giving away the stuff in the grave yard. There are some really great items....ride parts, carts, totem poles and lots of other stuff.

Hey Six Flags, have a yard sale!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I wasnt aware they ever gave stuff away, but I'm sure I could make room for a Sky Whirl cabin should they decide to part with one. Hell, if I can drag home a chunk of Shockwave or signs from Lakehurst Mall and a Standard Oil station I guess anythings possible.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

Re: Sky Whirl cabins

Post by jimmy gimbels »

Did you notice that the entire powerdive ride is in the graveyard....along with plenty of the rafts from white water rampage. Did you think we can cart those away?
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

Re: Sky Whirl cabins

Post by jimmy gimbels »

As of October 12, the entire powerdive ride has disappeared from the SFGA graveyard has disappeared. Main cabin....wings...supports....all gone. So, which one of you got it?