Barney Oldfield Speedway

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

Barney Oldfield Speedway

Post by dth1971 »

Do you remember the Barney Oldfield Speedway at Marriott's Great America? The Gurnee version was sponsored by Standard Oil/Amoco and the Santa Clara version was sponsored by Union 76.
76gurnee
Buzzy Bee

Post by 76gurnee »

remember it....I worked it in 1976....I remember before the park actually opened driving the cars around for hours at a time to break them in
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Originally the Gurnee speedway had three lanes with a figure ''8'' layout, which included a bridge, Then in 1986, when Splashwater Falls was added. The Speedway was reduced to just 2 lanes a the layout was changed to a circle. I assume the SC layout was the started out the same as Gurnee but I just realized today,at least according to this photo:
:arrow: http://acenorcal.org/modules/xcgal/disp ... m=10&pos=1
The SC speedway also was reduced to two lanes. Obviously this change was made when the Grizzly was added to the park. Now, I'm just wondering what the layout is like for the SC Speedway. Is it similar to the original figuire 8, is it round, or what?
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

It's kind of like an oval, only distorted, at the far end it goes around a water fountain/pond, and the 2 lanes aren't right next to each other the whole time. I have never been on the track closest to the Grizzly, it is never open when I go (when it's not as crowded), even though the line is really long...
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Has the speedway been renamed in SC like Gurnee did?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Nope. They did mix up the numbers with the Berserker (Yukon Yahoo) on the 2005 season map, but it still hasn't changed
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!