How is the Gurnee park these days?

all new discussions of the parks today -- California's Great America and Six Flags Great America -- should go here
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

How is the Gurnee park these days?

Post by RandyV »

It's been over 15 years since I've been to Gurnee and am planning to head back next year now that my daughter is tall enough to ride "the big rides."

Is the park still a reasonably clean and "family friendly" place to go? Growing up, and even into the mid-90s when I was there last, I don't recall there being any serious problems, but it seems that I've read in a few places that the clientele in the park has become, for lack of a better word, rough. By "rough" I'm talking about people screaming profanity on the rides or in the queue and just general lack of respect.

I know this is a loaded question as crowd behavior can vary greatly on any given day of the week, but in general, does anyone have an opinion on how the crowds behave these days?
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
steven
Site Admin

Re: How is the Gurnee park these days?

Post by steven »

I was recently at Gurnee for the first time in twelve years. As far as the condition of the park, it all looked to be in great shape to me. Regarding the behavior of the crowds, it seemed to be your typical theme-park crowd. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I'm gradually uploading photos from my visit here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezeiza/set ... 844128238/

Steven
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

Post by jimmy gimbels »

The park has certainly had its ups and down. Luckily, the past few years have put the park on the upswing. Codes of behavior and dress are strictly enforced to return the park to be more family friendly park. Smoking is limited to a few out of the way areas as are the adult beverages.

Still, the park is 30+ years old and does show some wear in form of buildings and fencing that could use a new coat of paint. The Columbia is particularly looking a bit worn out. Many of the kid's rides, well most of the rides, could use a good steam cleaning or power wash. You will also get hit with an endless barrage of video and audio messages to purchase a season pass.

Hurrican Harbor is already closed and the remaining water rides will be shut down over the next few weeks.

You will most likely notice that food and drink is toward the expensive side and of dubious quality. Hint: avoid Papa John's Pizza which taste nothing like what is sold through their regular outlets. Best to go with Panda Express or Johnny Rockets. Avoid the candy apples and candy sold by the pound at "Trudy's"(usually stale). Funnel cakes are still tasty and nicely priced.

You might want to wait until Fright Fest opens October 2. During the day it is very family friendly with a parade and Bugs and friends giving candy to kids (usually only between 11 and 1. Best time: Sunday mornings since the attendance does not really pick up until around 1:00 PM.

Have fun.
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

Post by jimmy gimbels »

Looks like Gurnee could have used the new roller coaster to attract attention. According to Crain's Chicago, attendance was 2,509,000 (down 6%) and revenue was $912,900,000 (down a full 10%).
blade
Buzzy Bee

Post by blade »

^ That's impossible. 912,900,000 divided by 2,509,000 = $363.85 per person. Six Flags would not be broke with that amount of guest spending. Wikepedia says SF makes around 1.1 billion in revenue as a chain. Did you possibly add a zero on that first #? $36.38 sounds more reasonable per head.
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

Post by jimmy gimbels »

Per Crains Chicago:

2,509,000(1) -6.0%
$912.9(2)-10.6% :D