What's Better, TOTC or The Demon?

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too

What's Better, Turn Of The Century or The Demon?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:53 pm

Turn Of The Century!
100%
The Demon
No votes

Total votes: 3

Marriott's GA Fan
Buzzy Bee

What's Better, TOTC or The Demon?

Post by Marriott's GA Fan »

Discuss here!
Demondude102110
Gulf Coaster

Post by Demondude102110 »

I have to say that the demon is better because I would rather have2 loops than 2 bunny hills. I also like the demons theming better. I don't think that Turn of the Century had much theminng at all.
Last edited by Demondude102110 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Demon rules!
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

Turn of the Century/Demon

Post by dth1971 »

The Demon is better since it's a revamped Turn of the Century.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I'll go with the Turn of the century. I never really cared for the Demon, I still ride it when friends want to, but I always feel like I'm waisting my time. Also, when Shockwave was built I always considered it as nothing more than a large Demon, I was glad to see it go. I wouldnt mind Demon being taken out either, even though I hate seeing this the original rides removed. The Demon I could easily part with. Thumbs up for Turn of the Century!
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Turn of the Century was much better. You can find loops and corkscrews at parks everywhere. Those two ejection-seat airtime hills, however, were unique.

Steven
Demondude102110
Gulf Coaster

Post by Demondude102110 »

Yeah ejector airtime is cool but you can find that on many rides also. Plus Turn of the Century had little or no theming. All in all Demon is better.
Demon rules!
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I would have to say the Demon is better for the moment… I mean TOTC looks fun, I never was able to ride it…, but I am just happy that you can still find part of an authentic Marriott's Great America still in the park(SC). I mean, you know, it lasted 25 years in the park even after Paramount purchased it and continues to thrill guests today, and at the rate the park is moving it might be able to last another 15 years. I like the way the park was able to save TOTC, even though its not a whole, but its better than nothing such as if The Tidal Wave was given more speed so that it would last longer in the park, then I would like it more too. Because I feel its better to have a piece of something, than to have nothing at all.(-coughs- plus its fun:roll: )
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

If you're talking strictly track, I liked Turn of the Century better. When I first rode it, those two hills blew me away. It felt like I was going to be ripped right out of my seat.

Does the Demon still have some special effects?
SupermanUltimateFlightKid
Buzzy Bee

Post by SupermanUltimateFlightKid »

redfishpaw wrote:I'll go with the Turn of the century. I never really cared for the Demon, I still ride it when friends want to, but I always feel like I'm waisting my time. Also, when Shockwave was built I always considered it as nothing more than a large Demon, I was glad to see it go. I wouldnt mind Demon being taken out either, even though I hate seeing this the original rides removed. The Demon I could easily part with. Thumbs up for Turn of the Century!

Shockwave was awesome! Demon sucks because it gives me a headache from getting banged around.
SUF at SFGAm Rocks!

I'm RagingBullLover1543 in the SFGAm world forums.
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

^ Does anyone else see the irony in that post?
It's Whizzer time!
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

Irony..yes ,as ShockWave and Demon were both Arrow coasters, the track was the same, the trains were the same.........how can one bang your head, and the other not.......at least the Demon doesn't force your neck into unnatural positions like Shockwave, but Shockwave is still different than Demon, it had 7 inversions, where Demon only has 4.

I don't know about TOTC....I wasn't born yet , let alone tall enough to ride it before it changed....that and I was chicken little for coasters until I was 16 and worked at SFGAm. Sounds different though, and different is better, in exchange for all these theme parks just getting faster/taller versions of the same ride.
segerken
Gulf Coaster

Post by segerken »

Shockwavegirl, you missed the irony. Look at the picture shown next to the post from the person who said he didn't like the Demon.
Shockwavegirl
Yankee Clipper

Post by Shockwavegirl »

Alright, I see the irony there too. But I also see it when someone complains about Demon/Shockwave, one bangs your head around, the other doesn't....they are essentially the same coaster, only Shockwave was taller and had one more vertical loop, and a boomerang.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

What causes all the head banging anyway?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

Could you explain more? Have you never been on it?...in that case the simple answer is the restraints come down right next to your ears and when you go through the corkscrews the initial jolt the car makes to the right causes the left side to hit your head pretty hard and your head starts bouncing around. And the restraints aren't that soft. If you have been on it...well, that's about all there is to it. It helps if you can either hold your head absolutely still against the headrest as soon as you hit the corkscrews, or put it forward then bring it back in once you're in the corkscrews.

That's for Demon, Shockwave had identical cars so the problem was basically the same. Also, Shockwave had a MCBR (mid-course brake run) that would bring you from about 50+ mph to almost 0 mph that was somewhat painful. (Laws of physics stopped the train but you kept going forward into the restraint at high speeds.) Basically, you'd go down that really high drop, gain 50-60 mph, do three vertical loops, and come to an almost complete stop, before doing the butterfly (two half vert. loops back to back, hard to describe) and two corkscrews before the ride was over.