White Water Rapids/Rip Roarin' Rapids

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
akorbel
Gulf Coaster

White Water Rapids/Rip Roarin' Rapids

Post by akorbel »

I noticed in this MGA park map that Gurnee had a rapids ride while the park was still Marriott's:

<http://www.themeparkbrochures.com/maps/ ... m1984.html>

Was a rapids ride for the Santa Clara park in the planning stages when the park was sold to the city? If so, are there any differences between the PGA's Rip Roarin' Rapids and SFGA's White Water Rapids?
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

I think both of these raft rides were in the planning stages the very last year Marriotts owned both parks. I'd guess their design/layout are identical. Steven, can you verify this?
coasterfan71555
Gulf Coaster

Post by coasterfan71555 »

"White Water Rampage" was opened in Gurnee for the 1984 season. This was the last attraction ordered and added by Marriott, because the sale to Six Flags took effect on June 1, 1984. It took the place of the car ride, "Traffique Jam" and I believe it was the first rapids ride to utilize a turntable loading station. The structure over the loading area is still quite amazing, and was a work of art in its early days with the beautiful polished wood for the ceiling covering the station. I can also remember riding "The Edge" during the 1983 season and watching the bulldozers and workers carving out the course for the rapids. Also, the rides are not identical. Gurnee's has 12-passenger rafts, Santa Clara's has 6-passenger rafts, the courses are different, and not quite in the same location.:D
What a day, what a place! What a smile on my face! My first visit was June 21, 1976, when I was less than a month from turning 21!
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

coasterfan71555 has it right about the Gurnee rapids ride being the last major attraction ordered by Marriott. I am not so sure about Santa Clara, though. I've heard that its rapids ride did not come in until 1988, which is definitely post-Marriott. I need to confirm that year, though.

Steven