santa clara whizzer

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

santa clara whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Does anyone know why the santa clara whizzer was removed, what happened to it, or have any photos of the disassembled ride to share? Thanks!
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

It was already gone before I ever visited the Santa Clara park. I don't know the exact reason for its removal, but I've heard that it had maintenance problems and was burdened also with bad memories of the tragic accident (which I'd prefer that we not rehash here right now, thanks).

I've never heard exactly what happened to the disassembled ride, but have been told that it was scrapped. I've not seen any photos of it in the process of being taken down or of the disassembled pieces. Some concrete footings of the Whizzer remain on the old site. A rumor persisted that a piece of track is still there that can only be seen when the water from the pond is drained. I have no idea if there is any truth to that. The Whizzer's sign is displayed in the park's coaster maintenance shop. It has been seen and well-photographed during behind-the-scenes park tours which were featured in events such as Coasterpalooza.

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I know this is completely off subject but does any one know why Coasterpalooza was discontinued?
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Where is a photo of the Whizzer sign? And was the Gurnee park's current Whizzer sign made after Marriott?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

The Gurnee Whizzer sign was has changed since Marriott.
Here is a closeup
:arrow: http://www.sfgamworld.com/gallery/Whizzer/Whizzer_2

Regarding the SC Whizzer. I asked my boss about the SC Whizzer removal when I worked at SFGA. He told me that the park simply didn't maintain it and it fell into disrepair. I didn't know about the accident back then, somehow I think this may have had something to do with it. Like Steven I also heard that this ride was scrapped. I did learn last year that there was a third coaster which was similar to the two whizzers which has been disassembled and relocated to another country. I found a few small photos of this ride a couple months ago operating in its new location. I don't remember where I put them at this time but I can post them here as soon as I find them again.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I don't have a photo handy of the Whizzer sign hanging in the coaster shop. But here is the same sign before it was moved indoors:

This photo is of the sign after it was redone to remove Willard's from the name.

The Whizzer was a Schwarzkopf speedracer roller coaster. The first of its kind was the Big Bend at Six Flags over Texas:

The second speedracer is the one that redfishpaw mentions. It was originally located at Kansas City's Worlds of Fun. It was relocated to Parque Nacional del Café in Colombia.

More information and photos of the Schwarzkopf speedracers is here (scroll down on each page for English text):

Big Bend -- http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/ESbigbendGF.htm

Zambezi Zinger -- http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/ESzambezizingerGF.htm (includes two photos of the coaster at its new home in Colombia)

Gurnee Whizzer -- http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/ESwhizzer-gurneeGF.htm

Santa Clara Whizzer -- http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/ESwhizze ... laraGF.htm

Steven
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

Thanks for the info, pics, and links, Steven. It's a bit disheartening to know that most of these unique Schwarzkopf creations have been scrapped. :(
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Thanks to all for the info so far. Whereabouts are the concrete footings that remain still at the park? Anywhere around whitewater falls?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Thanks for the links Steven, those look like the photos that I was thinking of. I came across them earlier this year, but then later I had forgotten where I found them.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

When I visited the Santa Clara park in 1990, it was already 2 years after the Whizzer disappeared from the scene, however, the station still remained. I took pictures of that, as well as some pics of the site from the Sky Tower. Here they are:

Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Nice photos, very interesting. Some Whizzer foundations can still be seen in the pond. Does anybody know if the Whizzer station still standing today and if so, what is it used for?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

The Santa Clara Whizzer station is gone. It came out to make room for the Xtreme Skyflyer upcharge attraction. I'll never forget the first time I saw it. During the off season, I was on a flight out of SJC. As is frequently the case, the plane went over PGA on takeoff. I was stunned when I looked down and saw the Xtreme Skyflyer on the old Whizzer site. I had always hoped that the Whizzer site would be reserved for another roller coaster.

Steven
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Thanks Rick for posting the santa clara pics, that was only a couple years before I first went there.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Here's a portion the Santa Clara Whizzer site in 2005:

Some concrete footings can be seen in the pond just above the center of the photo. These footings were for the track that climbed up before wrapping around the outside of the spiral lift. The spiral lift was located approximately where the large white tent is seen to the right of some of the original Hometown Square buildings.

Steven
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Thanks for the photo Steven. I think they should remove Xtreme Skyflyer and put in a coaster. There seems to be a lot of space here which could be utilized better.