Power Dive

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Being a ride op at Endeavor is kind of a hassle and you need a lot of patience. Guests always want their shoulder harnesses, so we have to use the "claw" (manual release) to make them looser. And if they want their lap restraints looser, there is a manual release for those also, but we're not allowed to use that and I don't know why. And the spitting thing is kind of a pain in the butt, but we have to deal with that. I have asked a lot of my friends which rides at Great America they thought were the scariest, the order of their answers typically went: 1) Drop Zone 2)Xtreme Skyflyer 3)Endeavor. I think it's just the fact that it hangs upside down for a long time.
xxlatinogueroxx
Yankee Clipper

Post by xxlatinogueroxx »

I loved the Power dive! The line was always short by the time I got to ride it! It was sooo much fun. Going upside. I love King Chaos too but that has nothing on powerdive!

I remember when the shoulder restraints would come down i would lift my hands up so it wouldnt squeeze my chest so hard. But for guys, it was no mercy for the lap restraints. It was soooo hard!
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Post by tillenterprises »

dpxtreme wrote:For anyone who likes the Power Dive, you can still go to Great America in Santa Clara to ride Endeavor! :D
You can also go to Six Flags Over Texas to ride the Acme Rock N Rocket- it's the old Looping Starship (the same ride as Power Dive) from Six Flags Over Georgia. They did a nice job theming and painting it to Acme rocket red- They put alot of work into it- looks like it will be there awhile!
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

Does anyone know what happened to the powerdive? Did it get scrapped or do we still have it in the parking lot?
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

As of last summer it was still rusting away in the parking lot, filled with yellow jacket nests :shock:
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Do you know what they are planning to do with it?
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

Power Dive, my dad told me a story about this ride. He said he saw a bigger guy in line just in front of him shoving as much food as he could in his mouth. He said he saw him on it next just before he wwent on it then the guy started throwing up as it went upsidedown and stuff. It was hitting people my dad said and people were swearing and stuff! :lol: I though it was halarious! Ofcourse my dad didn't know the name of the ride but I assume it was Power dive since he said it's no longer at the park anymore and the way he described it.
Whatta day! Whatta place!

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

I hate it when people throw up on the rides. :evil:
Cheesehead Dave
Yankee Clipper

Post by Cheesehead Dave »

yankee Clipper91 wrote:I hate it when people throw up on the rides. :evil:
Power dive was easy though... We just broke out the hose and sprayed everything away.

Out of sight, out of mind.
SFGAm Rides Host - 1990-1995
(1990-Demon, 1991-Power Dive/Cajun, 1992-Loggers, 1993-Eagle, 1994-Space Shuttle, 1995-Iron Wolf)
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

My sister was on Revolution just as someone got off throwing up on it and they sprayed it down really fast and let them on. Guess what, the puky water sloshed all over them! I was looking at old pics of Power Dive and everybody riding it looked very uncomfortable!

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

I was able to see the powerdive today from the top of the iron wolf.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

yankee Clipper91 wrote:Do you know what they are planning to do with it?
I don't even think the park knows what they're going to do with it.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

^Probably true! :lol: Probally in the future they're just going to get rid of what's left completely instead of leaving it in the parking lot.

jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Power Dive commercial is now on YouTube!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EOs0Fqa8pyA
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

^Nice find Jon! Kind of a strange and short commercial but it's GAm, eh? :D So, is the seats the same as Endeavor's?