Sky Whirls Replacment

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Sky Whirls Replacment

Post by m11stephen2 »

Do boomerang coasters stand in the place of Sky Whirl at both parks?
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

yeah pretty much, quite sad isn't it :(
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Only difference is Gurnee got a Vekoma Giant Inverted Boomerang, PGA got a standard Inverted Boomerang. IMO, the dumbest decision by both GAm parks.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Re: Sky Whirls Replacment

Post by redfishpaw »

m11stephen2 wrote:Do boomerang coasters stand in the place of Sky Whirl at both parks?
I don't think Dejavu can be considered a coaster (anymore), it more of a giant lawn ornament. I would target this as something that should be removed as I believe it has already served its purpose.
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Post by m11stephen2 »

Is face-off more reliable than dejavu? I do feel that Dejavu could have been placed somewhere else in the park and we could still have sky-whirl.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

What's face-off?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

He means Invertigo. Face/Off is the name of this same kind of coaster at Paramount's Kings Island.

Steven
m11stephen2
Yankee Clipper

Post by m11stephen2 »

Sorry, when theres so many coasters that look the same its hard to keep the names straight. :D
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

ohhhh ok…
Papas
Yankee Clipper

Re: Sky Whirls Replacment

Post by Papas »

redfishpaw wrote:
m11stephen2 wrote:Do boomerang coasters stand in the place of Sky Whirl at both parks?
I don't think Dejavu can be considered a coaster (anymore), it more of a giant lawn ornament. I would target this as something that should be removed as I believe it has already served its purpose.
Anymore? It ran better in 2005 than it did any other year, and its capcity is better than Invertigo's (the way SFGAm runs it compared to the way PGA runs theirs).
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

What does Six Flags do thats different?
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

Vekoma is out there periodically during the entire summer. My guess is Six Flags threatened to no longer do business with them if they didn't fix it. :)
coasterfan71555
Gulf Coaster

Post by coasterfan71555 »

The replacement of Sky Whirl at both parks was one of the worst decisions ever made! Sky Whirl was an icon of the park, as much a symbol as the Columbia Carousel. I bemoan its loss and wish it was still there. Thankfully this site has a wonderful photo gallery and I can always go back and relive the memories. It was a unique ride and one that could be enjoyed by all age groups. I remember a cycle on Sky Whirl was about 7 minutes...try getting that from any other ride! The boomerang coasters, while wonderful in their own right, could have been fit in anywhere. Alas, it is no more....but that's the way it is. Long live the memories! :!:
What a day, what a place! What a smile on my face! My first visit was June 21, 1976, when I was less than a month from turning 21!
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Those are great words for that pretty much summerize the point of this sight, to enjoy and remember the GREAT time of Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and so I must qoute and second coasterfan71555's:

"Long live the memories! :!: "
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

I loved Sky Whirl and I miss it. I wish Deja Vu could have been placed somwhere else but I'm happy we have it. I think it's more than a worthy replacement for the classic ride.