Sky Whirls Replacment

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

The only time Sky Whirl ever got to me way the day I rode it in the rain with NO raincoat or parka (it was one of the ONLY rides open that day...)
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

yankee Clipper91 wrote:Yeah I know that they are tearing it down. I would have to say a new roller coaster would be put in their spots. Since they are tearing out splash waterfalls could the great america raceway be in trouble too? I would hope not.
The raceway track could be redone to fit around a new coaster. It was already changed once before when Splashwater falls was installed. (the original track was 3 lane figure 8 with bridge, now it is a two lane loop.)
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

Yeah you are right about that.
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

I honestly don't want another coaster in County Fair unless it replaces iron Wolf, one of the kiddie areas in Yukon or if it's so compact that it fits into only Deja Vu's spot.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

Demonlover13 wrote:I honestly don't want another coaster in County Fair unless it replaces iron Wolf, one of the kiddie areas in Yukon or if it's so compact that it fits into only Deja Vu's spot.
That would be awesome if a smaller compact floorless coaster such as BTR at SFNE replaces Wolf. But I highly doubt it. A good dive coaster should replace Vu but not gonna happen I bet.
Whatta day! Whatta place!

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

I still say we'll never get a coaster unless another one comes out.
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

I was surprised today now that deja vu is now leaving that i was able to see part of the creek that was behind the sky whirl was still there and not turned into grass.
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

^Ha! I didn't even though there was a creek back there. :lol: I still wonder what's going to go in. A couple of flats or a coaster. More towards the flats but you never know, but part of me is saying a coaster since we only have 12 or if you count AE as 13. Still curious to see what's going to go in it in the next couple years.

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

SFGA doesn't need another coaster unless one comes out. Flats would be appropriate there.
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

^People are really looking forward to a new coaster. SFGAm is one of the most popular SixFlags parks in the world and coaster attract mo eguest than flats. I understand that's SixFlags but you still never know. A smaller coaster could replace Vu and a flat or where SWF is at or viceversa.

Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

It would get attendance up, yes, but still, do you think Shapiro's really going to go after getting a huge coaster any time soon. Honestly...
dwp49423
Buzzy Bee

Post by dwp49423 »

Only rode SkyWhirl once Not a ferris wheel fan but being with the parents and my mother wasn't a roller coaster fan, compromises had to be made.

Waiting in line and watching the mechanical system operate was cool. And the ride was gentle compared to the Ferris wheels I'm used to (not a fan of "bench style" Ferris wheels).

Believe it was 1990 or so. Iron Wolf had either debuted that year or the year prior.
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

Here's an interesting article I found in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/28/busin ... =permalink

Ferris wheels are big business again. They're once again becoming "all the rage." Wouldn't it be something to see a new version of Sky Whirl back in its old spot? Or even a massive Ferris wheel?

Think about it. It really is a possibility...
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

I would loooooove a ferris wheel. Any kind.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

^ Interesting ferris wheel article Rick posted. I didnt realize there was a movement towards building the largest ferris wheel. Reminds me of the coaster building years when people cared about the tallest and fastest coasters. I still think that the Sky Whirl land will be tied together with the Splashwater land with a coaster of some type which spans over the walkway.