Sky Whirls Replacment

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

^I really hope it isn't.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
TripplePlay93
Yankee Clipper

Post by TripplePlay93 »

but we cant build one that big the gurneed height limit is 330 feet, the height of sky trek tower.
Great America, My dream come true

Save Great America Raceway.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

It wouldn't need to be that high anyway.. I don't want another coaster unless it's just in 1 spot. I don't like the idea of it going under the midway or over it.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I never said anything about the size or height of the coaster I just think that a coaster of some type may be planned there. Someone else on this site mentioned this as well. If you look at this area from above you will see that the shywhirl land and Splashwater fall land almost directly line up with each other.

:arrow: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1

Also, the maximun height of the rides is not set by Sky Trek tower. The limit is much much lower and many of the rides @ GA are over the limit. V2 for example is over the limit. Many new coasters/ tall rides each need a height variance in order to be built. I dont know what the actual limit is offhand, but it isnt that high.
TripplePlay93
Yankee Clipper

Post by TripplePlay93 »

look here i found out that almost everything need a variance....

:arrow: http://www.gurnee.il.us/community_dev/p ... k_R-5.html

i beleive it falls under the category of recreation and social
Great America, My dream come true

Save Great America Raceway.
Papas
Yankee Clipper

Post by Papas »

I dont think Six Flags will have to worry about a height variance for whats going in that spot :lol:
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Sceamscape mentions a possible Splash battle attraction in the sky whirl area.

:arrow: http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_fla ... merica.htm
DarkJak2050
Gulf Coaster

Reason for Gurnee's Sky Whirl's Tear Down

Post by DarkJak2050 »

coasterfan71555 wrote:The replacement of Sky Whirl at both parks was one of the worst decisions ever made! Sky Whirl was an icon of the park, as much a symbol as the Columbia Carousel. I bemoan its loss and wish it was still there. Thankfully this site has a wonderful photo gallery and I can always go back and relive the memories. It was a unique ride and one that could be enjoyed by all age groups. I remember a cycle on Sky Whirl was about 7 minutes...try getting that from any other ride! The boomerang coasters, while wonderful in their own right, could have been fit in anywhere. Alas, it is no more....but that's the way it is. Long live the memories! :!:
I know how you guys at Gurnee feel about having your Sky Whirl ride being taken down. But Six Flags had a very good reason for taking it down. I read from a Six Flags Great America employee's website that it was "Old Age" that got to it. What I mean is by maintenace, not that it kept on breaking down (unlike Deja Vu, just saying). It was the lack of replacement parts for Sky Whirl's mechanics and no one was making them anymore. Basically, Six Flags ran it untill the parts it had left wore out. That's what I mean by "Old Age" for rides.

As for the Santa Clara ride, I don't know why it was torn down. If anyone here who worked at the Santa Clara park when it was torn down knows why, please let us all know.