Sky Whirl cabins

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
GAcoaster
Gulf Coaster

Post by GAcoaster »

I would hang one either from a frame or under a proch roof, so it was like a porch swing. :)

I am SO jealous! :x
See the sights on my site: www.AmusementPics.com
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Lol, interesting idea actually
I second that whole jealous thing
but it might be stolen or vandilized
Plus it would look like a huge cage so maybe you would leave the bars off of it...
Lol, soooooo lucky
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

These cabins would look really cool in a MGA museum of former rides. I know, I know, where would the other remnants from the other rides come from? Just a minor technicality and could be fixed with oversized scale models of the rides. Location for such a museum....hmmm.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

imdaman wrote:Steven, how was it announced that the cabins were available? It seems like you were the only one who knew about it, otherwise I'm sure a lot of ppl from here would have been there at the bone yard that day (me for one)!
This was a few years ago, well before this web site was started! The notice was spread mainly by word of mouth. There were others who really, really wanted to pick up cabins, but when the reality set in -- the cabins are a lot bigger than you may think (Where will you put one? How will you get it there? Got a fenced back yard? How will you get it through the gate or over the fence?) -- then even die-hard fans soon gave up on the idea. Wait for the article for the whole story, but even I came this close to giving up on the idea of rescuing any of the cabins.

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

lol yeah, when I first saw that you had these I was like, coooool, sooo lucky (still am) and I had the ideas of having one in the basement...(day dreamming)...the next day I remembered, they can hold like 6 people. How would it fit through the door!?
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I have also wanted to have one of these as well. But again, the sheer size of the cabin is what you don't think of right away.

When Great America in Gurnee, IL had 4 of them out for Fright Fest, it allowed me and my friends to get a good look at them again. This also allowed us to again remember how big, and how much these things weigh! :) So yeah...not only would you have to figure out how to get it out of the park and home, but you would need a good sized space to put it in.

I'm glad that Steve was able to save 3 of these, and I am looking forward to the full story that goes along with this adventure. Hopefully, Gurnee will hold onto their remaining 4 for a number of years to come.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

^yeah but they ruined them by painting them all brown though, and from my understanding they were stripped of all removable parts by some park goers
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

The doors were gone but thats all I remember. I mailed a letter to SFGAm asking for one but they never replied.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

^I mailed them a letter about 4 years ago asking for one but got denied :(
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

That's too bad. I'm really suprised, actually. I wonder what the park ended up doing with them.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I thought that the cabins were scrapped (except for the 4 painted black for fright fest)
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Thats what i heard.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Why did both parks keep the cabins for so long after the ride was taken down?
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

I don't know. I thought maybe they could melt them down with Shockwave, but the only metal parts would be the chain, floor, and maybe ceiling. The rest was fiberglass, I think. Assuming they had to pay a company to haul them away, it would seem logical to let guests take them away. Jon, you got a piece of Shockwave, which is why I'm suprised they wouldn't give away Sky Whirl cabins. I would love to see one of them in the ACE museum.
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

redfishpaw wrote:I thought that the cabins were scrapped (except for the 4 painted black for fright fest)
they were actually painted brown and no they wern't scrapped, for awhile they were sitting in the employee parking lot