steven
Site Admin

Sky Whirl cabins

Post by steven »

Steven
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

ahh those are nice to see, what happened to the bars? they had the 4 remaining sky whirl cages out at SFGAm durring FF and they were stripped of parts by people :cry:
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Nice to seem them again, was there a reason for choosing 2 blue and 1 red?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Nice collection Steven
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

The bars were removed in preparation for demolition. However, it proved beneficial to have them removed anyway for transportation reasons. The cabins had to be transported horizontally at times. It was better to have the bars off for that. There are supposed to be more than three cabin's worth of bars stacked in the blue cabin in the background. Originally, only two cabins were to be saved: one red and one blue. While these were being loaded, the guys said that they could fit one more on the truck. So I selected another blue one because blue is my favorite color. Incidentally, the cabin numbers are 14, 23, and 26.

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Oh ok, also, Were the chains still attached to the top of the cabins? (sooooooo jealous, its the truth ok, lol) Oh yeah, do they have the "landing devices"?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Chains are still attached to the top of each cabin. Landing gear is still intact, too. :)

Steven
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

cool
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Steven,

Nice picture of your stored cabins. What will you end up doing with them?

Jeff
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

Steven, how much did you pay for those?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

The about-to-be-scrapped cabins were offered free to anyone who would pick them up. I was the only one who took advantage of the kind offer. I went for two and ended up with three. I don't want to give away too much more of the story now because I still plan to follow through with that article about it. Even though they were free, the transportation and storage charges were very high. :(

The first objective was to save them from the scrap heap. That's been accomplished. Next is to figure out what to do with them. I would like to restore them and have them looking just like new. Besides that, however, I don't yet have any plans. I thought about hanging one from a frame that would allow it to swing a little bit. But that could present some safety problems. Any other ideas? Good suggestions are most welcome!!!

Steven
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

That sounds like a good idea. You have to secure it really good though.

Can those bars be re-attached?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Steven, how was it announced that the cabins were available? It seems like you were the only one who knew about it, otherwise I'm sure a lot of ppl from here would have been there at the bone yard that day (me for one)!
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

Usually anything in the boneyard is up for grabs. (But make sure you get permission from the park first!) The park is willing to give it away because otherwise they'd have to pay a company to haul it away, if guests do it for them, they don't have to pay anything. :)
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Lol, right now I really wish Steven would add some special place on this site to have announcements of this sort, I would have been over there in a flash. But at the age of 14 its kinda hard to get what you want around getting parts of an amusement ride 2 hours away, Lol.