Columbia Carousel Repaint

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
ElkGroveGroovin
Gulf Coaster

Columbia Carousel Repaint

Post by ElkGroveGroovin »

I don't know if this was posted yet so I apologize, but I just noticed pics of the Columbia Carousel at SFGAm repainted and it looks exactly as PGA's paint scheme (Red, White, Blue, Gold) when it was repainted for the 25th Anniversary season. Is this purely coincidence? Thanks.

PGA's Columbia (present day)
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/ ... G_0515.jpg
http://sirwillow.smugmug.com/photos/28887373-M-1.jpg
http://sirwillow.smugmug.com/photos/28884551-M.jpg
http://sirwillow.smugmug.com/photos/28884549-M.jpg

SFGAm's Columbia (present day)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... rousel.jpg
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... 000997.JPG
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... 000538.JPG
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

haha! funny as now all they need is palmtrees Fountains and a sign at the base of the pool, then..... :wink:
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

That is funny... but I think all those fountains and stuff in front of PGA's carousel is too distracting. I like that SFGAm's reflection pool is still essentially the same as it's always been.

I DO like the new color schemes though. Certainly better than in the 80s and 90s when Santa Clara had that pastel thing going on ... it was nice and all, but dated now. :)

Here's a pic from my 1990 visit:

Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
UAORDStew
Gulf Coaster

Post by UAORDStew »

actually..........SFGAm did steal the color scheme from PGA. When I was out in CA visiting PGA with my best friend, who Rick...you know, we took a pic of Columbia and showed it to those that be at the park upon our return and VIOLA!......it was repainted that spring. HONEST TO GOD TRUE STORY!!!
Todd Doerge
SFGA 1986-1993, 2001-current
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

I'm undecided on the paint job. but leaning toward not liking it.

Of cousrse, I should point out that I have not seen it in person. The pictures look a little on the gaudy side to me. Again, maybe it's better in person.

Can't wait to take my 5 year old daughter to SFGAm for ride on the Columbia. I keep showing her pictures and she really wants to go for a ride on the top level. Won't make it this year -- but definitely next year.
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
UAORDStew
Gulf Coaster

Post by UAORDStew »

which one do you not like??? LOL!! hmmm..... LOL!! anyhoo, Columbia at SFGAm was painted this way 2 seasons ago or has it been 3?? can't remember.... but it has faded slightly some now.

hope you come back soon!!! lots of new and fun things going on!!!!!!!

watched the lifeguards at H.H. play on the Tornado this evening. Looks like a FUN ride!!!!
Todd Doerge
SFGA 1986-1993, 2001-current
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

UAORDStew wrote:actually..........SFGAm did steal the color scheme from PGA. When I was out in CA visiting PGA with my best friend, who Rick...you know, we took a pic of Columbia and showed it to those that be at the park upon our return and VIOLA!......it was repainted that spring. HONEST TO GOD TRUE STORY!!!
Hehe... I get one guess who that was. ;-)

Well I don't blame them. It needed a little spruce up. Why the heck shouldn't Gurnee do it too? ;-)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
macman
Gulf Coaster

Post by macman »

I just got back tonight from the Gurnee park. I took my first ride on the Columbia in about ten years and have to say I was really taken aback at the condition of it. The red, white, blue and gold paint on the outside looks okay, but the cone shaped top has several very visible rust stains that the park didn't do anything about. Worse, I was very disheartened to see how the ride looked when I was on it. The carpeting is just filthy, with stains all over. Also, there were lots of dead leaves and "helicopters" that were near the center of the ride platform that nobody had bothered to vacuum or sweep away. That plus seeing all of those wonderful animals with the absurd seat belts hanging from them just really turned me off. It was depressing. The Columbia is the park's signature ride...it should be maintained far better than it currently is. :cry:
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Santa Clara isn't much better, the originally chrome horns are dirty beyond belief. Also, I was appalled to see that the park tried to "fix" the some of the detached parchement that looks like its covering old speakers with some rusty staples! (well it wasn't originally when they did it, but you know what I mean) I guess they just want to make it look good froma far...
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

Someone should bring THIS up to Shapiro, I'm sure he would take care of it. Biggest thing I've noticed, if noone complains, nothing will get done...
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

macman wrote:Worse, I was very disheartened to see how the ride looked when I was on it. The carpeting is just filthy, with stains all over. Also, there were lots of dead leaves and "helicopters" that were near the center of the ride platform that nobody had bothered to vacuum or sweep away.
This brings to point a question I've had for years since I visited Santa Clara in 1990... Why does their carousel have a hardwood floor, and Gurnee's carousel has that nasty carpeting? You'd think that after all these years they would have pulled up that mowed-down crap and let the floor show through (if it truly is wood like Santa Clara's underneath). Have they even ever replaced that carpeting in the 30 years the ride has been there?

Just askin'. 8)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm alomst positive that the Carousel at PGA has carpet on the bottom deck, but they have wood on the top deck. I always go on the top so I never notice the bottom.