Most Sickening Ride

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Most Sickening Ride

Post by PGA ROCKS »

When it comes to all the original Marriott rides, which was the most sickening? I've heard many different things from Orbit, to Sky Whirl, to Fiddler's Fling. But which ride did the operators have to sprinkle the most "pixie dust" on?
I miss Tidal Wave
Cheesehead Dave
Yankee Clipper

Post by Cheesehead Dave »

Of all the ones I worked at, it was probably a toss-up between Power Dive and Cajun Cliffhanger. Both rides came equipped with hoses for easy cleanup. How nice that they were both in the same ride group. I doubt that a day went by without one or both going down at some point for cleanup. Image
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

What a great topic for the dinner table! :shock:

Personally, I could handle all of the rides until I hit my early 20's- then Sky Whirl became my #1 gut-churner. I almost lost it near the end of what was my last turn on that ride. Never ventured on board again!

As for the worst ride overall? I would have to vote for Cajun Cliffhanger. Since we carried two-way radios on the same freq as Park Ops, we heard the calls for "signal 2, Cajun Cliffhanger, guest illness" over and over every day!
While we often laughed at those calls, I did feel very sorry for the poor operators who had to clean the ride.

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
Cheesehead Dave
Yankee Clipper

Post by Cheesehead Dave »

Cleaning the ride was easy; just pop open the door, fire up the hose, and watch everything flow away under the floor. Out of sight, out of mind!

It was always pretty funny when someone lost it after the ride. Some poor kids would be standing there surrounded by his lunch while everyone else in the drum skittered to the other side as far away as possible.
NorCalDude
Buzzy Bee

Post by NorCalDude »

Out of all these rides at GA in Santa Clara; Centrifuge, The Orbit, Endeavor, Spongebob's Boatmobiles, Delirium, Berserker, and Celebration Swings, the ones that I have seen or heard of the most sickening is Spongebob's Boatmobiles (Huss Breakdance) followed by Centrifuge (Fiddler's Fling).

For me personally, The Orbit just makes me dizzy, Centrifuge and Spongebob make my stomach hurt a litle, Endeavor (Power Dive) makes my head hurt, and Berserker, Delirium, and Swings do nothing for me.
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

I have to disagree. I've been on Spongebob's Boatmobiles, and they don't even spin that fast. Centrifuge just makes me a little dizzy, but not that bad. Probably the most sickening ride for me is The Orbit. The g-forces make it such a sickening ride. But I never actually get sick on it. Just woozy. Actually, one time I almost vomited on Drop Zone. That was because I looked straight down during the freefall. Bad idea...

All the other flat rides at Santa Clara don't get me sick at all.
I miss Tidal Wave
PGAsecurity99
Gulf Coaster

Post by PGAsecurity99 »

It looks like we have gotten slightly off topic, but since we are adding in none Marriot era rides, the worst one I remember from my ride ops days would have to be Revolution. There was one time that I had to E-Stop the ride because some kid that was chewing tobacco spit a huge wad of juice onto the floor. That would not have been pretty during the inversions.

I personally have never gotten sick after being on a ride though.
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

Okay, I know I said that Spongebob wasn't that sickening, but I changed my mind now.

I visited the park yesterday, and decided to try this ride out again to see if I missed something. I did. I had already eaten lunch, and ridden Logger's Run (which took half an hour because the line was full) and I still almost lost it on this thing. What a sneaky kid's ride!

Long story short: I almost puked on it, and I realized that it is very underrated (much more fun than I thought). But seriously, they've got to make that thing spin faster. Fiddler's Fling continues to lap it...
I miss Tidal Wave
Angry_Gumball
Gulf Coaster

Post by Angry_Gumball »

Ok, so I'm a new poster here but I've been visiting GA (California) quite a few times this summer and have gotten around to most of the rides. I'm only like 25 minutes from GA so obviously it's my home park. So now, I've introduced myself. I've been visiting GA since I was little (First visit was actually pre vortex.)

So far, nothing has made me sick, including the Huss Breakdancer SpongeBob. They've got one of these things down at the Santa Cruz boardwalk as well tucked underground with a crazy light show/strobes. Now, on Spongebob, I would go as far as rocking the cars to get them to spin before the ride would start, and if I"m lucky, I'd get this to spin quite a bit during the ride. (Video here.) The only ride that still didn't come quite close to getting me sick was Delirium. (Fireball at Santa Cruz, another story...that get's me queasy)[/url]
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

Ah Mr. Gumball, welcome to Great America Parks. We hope you learn lot's about the Marriott era of both the Santa Clara and Gurnee parks. :D

P.S.- I PMed you.
I miss Tidal Wave
TripplePlay93
Yankee Clipper

Post by TripplePlay93 »

i would have to say East river crawler (lobster)

i havent lost it on it but i can really get it to spin....
Great America, My dream come true

Save Great America Raceway.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

Sickening to ride or sickening to look at. :lol: I don't get queasy from rides unless I'm already sick.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
TripplePlay93
Yankee Clipper

Post by TripplePlay93 »

actually i revise my statement, fiddlers fling.
Great America, My dream come true

Save Great America Raceway.
missedthemarriotera
Yankee Clipper

Post by missedthemarriotera »

hmmm... i guess maybe im probably the stongest stomache here... i had never felt a slight bit sick after riding a ride...( i road giant drop 6 times in a row) but maybe when i get older it will cacth up to me (im only 11) so yea...
Last edited by missedthemarriotera on Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahahaha
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

^You're not alone. I've never felt queasy from riding a ride. However, it made my stomach flip if I see somebody else not looking so hot.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!