Locations of old rides - Santa Clara - and some other ?s

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
HiddenMickey
Buzzy Bee

Locations of old rides - Santa Clara - and some other ?s

Post by HiddenMickey »

I was wondering if anyone could tell me where these old rides were placed in relation to today. I have some guesses on some but please correct me if I'm wrong.

-I know Sky Hawk is now another eagle-type ride; I don't know why they replaced it.
-The Yankee Clipper loading station
-The Edge (was it where Drop Zone and Psycho Mouse are now?)
-Tidal Wave
-Days of Thunder (which building was this in again?)
-Sky Whirl (now Invertigo?)
-The Lobster

Unrelated questions

-did the Berserker used to go backwards?
-Does anyone have any scans of old park maps, esp. early 90s?
-What was that show that used to play in one of the theaters? Blue Earth, or Earth, or Blue Sky, something like that. Which theater did it play in?
-Anyone remember what year Alvin & the chipmunks came to the park (90s?)? Or Vanilla Ice? lol

Thanks!
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

-Skyhawk used to be where the 3-point basketball challenge game is now, next to the first aid station.
-The Yankee Clipper loading station was approximately behind the Outback Shack eating place.
-The Edge was where the Thunder Raceway go-karts are now.
-Tidal Wave used to be behind the Action Theater, and the station still sits behind the Vortex station.
-Days Of Thunder was in the Action Theater.
-Sky Whirl was where Invertigo is now.
-The Lobster was approximately in the corner section of the Action Theater.

-And Berserker never used to go backwards.
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by MGA1 »

Responses to "Unrelated Questions"

1) For scans of old park maps, check out the photo album sections...I know there are several in there from the 90's.
2) The IMAX movie was called "Blue Planet", produced in 1990 and much of the footage was taken from the Space Shuttle. I think it can still be seen at the National Air & Space Museum in Washington, DC.
3) I don't remember the Vanilla Ice concert in Santa Clara. But I do remember that in 1990, "New Kids on the Block" was a relatively unknown opening act for another group. By 1991, "New Kids on the Block" was so famous, that the park couldn't even afford to book them.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
HiddenMickey
Buzzy Bee

Post by HiddenMickey »

Blue Planet, that's what it was! Which theater showed that, was it the one near Sky Tower? (Also, Blue Planet is available on DVD!)

Thank you everyone for your responses and help!
RavenLenore13
Gulf Coaster

Post by RavenLenore13 »

[quote="MGA1]
3) I don't remember the Vanilla Ice concert in Santa Clara. But I do remember that in 1990, "New Kids on the Block" was a relatively unknown opening act for another group. By 1991, "New Kids on the Block" was so famous, that the park couldn't even afford to book them.[/quote

They opened for Tiffany who was on her way out.
Co-workers told me that she was boo-ed off stage...

Personally, I preferred the Oingo Boingo concerts.
;P
"Clipper Kryis"
'88-94 Santa Clara Yankee Rides
RavenLenore13
Gulf Coaster

Post by RavenLenore13 »

Skyhawk had mechanical issues & had a lot of Downtime (as did the Edge)
After someone fell from a Skyhawk ride at a different park, the Santa Clara ride was shut down pending investigation.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... =printable

Look at the left half of this picture taken from my position at Logger's Chute in 1990:

The Lobster was directly between the Tidal Wave & The Bridge to Orleans.

The Yankee Clipper station was below & 50 feet from the Logger's Run Chute. Also about 30 feet of water away from the nearby restaurant.

Tidal Wave is where eh blue-green waves are & Days of Thunder later was built where the Sandy area & the Hesperus (The Red Ship) stood beside the TW Queue.

From my personal photo collection:
http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t58/ ... 20America/
"Clipper Kryis"
'88-94 Santa Clara Yankee Rides
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I have heard from an olf employee that in the 1990s the Berserker was run backwards when it got dark, but I never witnessed this myself.
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!