Gurnee Edge may still live

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Gurnee Edge may still live

Post by jonrev »

Unfortunately I have nothing that can confirm it; but I have heard from someone that the Hollywood Tower at Movieland in Italy may be the former Mr Hyde's Nasty Fall; which was originally built as The Edge at Marriott's in Gurnee. Another site is saying it was to be installed at Loudoun Castle for the 2004 or 2005 season. I can't remember when Geauga removed Mr Hyde, but this "Hollywood Tower" opened in 2006.

Just tossing this out there.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Re: Gurnee Edge may still live

Post by RandyV »

I thought when The Edge / Hyde's was removed from Geauga at the end of 2005, it was scrapped, not sold. They had it for sale, but last I remember reading, there were no buyers.

1st Gen Intamin free falls are so rare any more. There are only three of four left, I think.

I'm glad Cedar Fair has decided to save Demon Drop by moving it to Knott's next year. I've told my daughter all about The Edge when it was at Great America and really want to have her experience a ride on it before they completely disappear.

The Edge was truly the first ride that scared me when I rode it the first time.
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

Just noticed --- the stairs on the tower shown in the picture are on the wrong side.

The stairs on The Edge were on the right side of the tower as you faced it from the front of the ride, not the left as in the picture above. Not sure if that matters, but it is a difference which makes me believe this isn't the same one.
Randy V.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Yeah, now that I look at it they are on the wrong side.
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... m=34&pos=4

For some reason I'm having issues getting to user galleries; the list of member's galleries is no longer there.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

I have the same problem with the galleries. I emailed Steven about it.

I don't think I've seen any other 1st gen free falls with stairs on the left. I Googled and could not find much info about that ride (when it was installed, etc.).
Randy V.
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Post by tillenterprises »

This is not the Gurnee Edge- it is a first generation freefall that used to operate indoors, yes indoors, at the huge mall in Edmonton in Canada. It was removed a few years ago, and replaced by an S+S launch/drop tower in the same spot. I LOVE first generation freefalls, the way they operate, and even the noises they make (I can only imagine how loud this ride was indoors)! Since it spent most of it's life inside, it probably is in excellent condition, too! By the way, if you want a big laugh, go to this Italian park's website and look at the promotional video they made for this ride- it's so obvious they are trying to rip off the Tower Of Terror at Disney! :lol:

As for our old Edge from Gurnee- after it was removed, way too prematurely, I might add, it went to a small park in Rhode Island, and then made it's way to Geauga Lake, where it operated as Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall (cool theming on it, too). Then, after Cedar Point bought the park, they took it down, and I heard that they were using spare parts from it for the Demon Drop.

I'm glad I got to Cedar Point this year to ride Demon Drop again. I'm sad that they are moving it so far away, but glad that it's not getting scrapped. I miss the Edge so much, and each time I go to Great America, I still picture it standing there. I wish that some park in the US would respect these great rides and keep it going, so future generations can ride them. There is no ride experience like it anywhere.