Kentucky Kingdom Is Closing...

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
ILuvTheDemon
Gulf Coaster

Kentucky Kingdom Is Closing...

Post by ILuvTheDemon »

And that means that something is going to happen to our Tidal Waves! :? If I'm correct, the ride is the Gurnee one with parts from Santa Clara's ride, right? If you go to the six flags Kentucky Kingdom page, you get a notice about how they're closing, so there's nothing on what the fate of the rides is yet. I also heard that the state owns the rides and it may go as scrap metal, but I also heard that Six Flags might try to buy the rides back... Does anyone have any information on this???
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

Re: Kentucky Kingdom Is Closing...

Post by jimmy gimbels »

A story in the local newspaper quotes SF officials claiming that many of the rides will be relocated to other SF properties. So, I guess SF owns the rides.
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

When my family and I first visited SFGAm in 1987, I was only 7 years old. While I rode Demon and Whizzer, I did not ride any of the other coasters (American Eagle, Tidal Wave, and Z-Force). I can't remember if height or fear was my reason for not riding, but I had always regretted not riding Tidal Wave and Z-Force during our visit, as both had been removed from the park by the time I visited again in the early 90s.

In any case, I was happy to have finally ridden Tidal Wave in its reincarnation as Greezed Lightnin' at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom in 2008 and again in 2009. In fact, I rode it a nice Halloween-ish 13 times on October 31, 2009, the second-to-last day of SFKK's operation for the 2009 season (and apparently forever).

Here's hoping that Tidal Wave/Viper/Greezed Lightnin' finds a good home and continues to thrill riders for many years to come. But if not, I'm glad I was able to finally ride the creation some 21 years after I first saw it and was awed by it. I got to spend some good quality time with Greezed Lightnin' in 2008 and 2009, and for that I'm grateful. :D

The former Z-Force (Flashback), on the other hand, was not running when I visited Six Flags Magic Mountain in 2003. Grrrr. Oh well, one out of two ain't bad. :wink:
WARNING: This message was composed on a computer in a household where peanuts and peanut products are served.
DemonLvr52379
Buzzy Bee

Post by DemonLvr52379 »

We started a petition to bring back the Tidal Wave to Great America! Please sign it and tell everyone you know that loves that ride and would like to bring it back to sign it! With everyone's support we can restore a great ride and an important part of history for Great America!!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sfgawave/

or visit the Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Return-Th ... 3922300768
I luv Great America...Bring on the fun!!!