Shockwave Trains

All about the rides at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA and post-Marriott rides, too
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Shockwave Trains

Post by RandyV »

Sorry to ask a non-Marriott era question, but there are people here who have knowledge.

When Shockwave opened in 1989 there were four trains -- two yellow and two red. Sometime between 1989 and 1993, a blue train (maybe two?) was added to the mix.

My question is did Shockwave ultimately have 6 trains available (2 yellow, 2 red, 2 blue) and were they all there in 1989 when the ride opened? Or, were the blue trains added later to replace one of the yellow or red trains?

I have video from '89 clearly showing the yellow and red trains running the circuit and on the transfer track, but no sign of the blue train(s). However I have a picture fro 1993 of me in the blue train on the brake run into the station and other pictures of the blue train are out there, so they did exist.

I know Shockwave took it's toll on equipment, so I'm curious if the two additional trains were added after the ride opened to allow the ride to run at capacity (3 or 4 trains) while two were off in the shop being worked on.

Anyone have any insight?
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
FParker185
Buzzy Bee

Re: Shockwave Trains

Post by FParker185 »

Shockwave opened with 4 trains, but I don't think ever actually ran 4 for the public as there was no unload station so no matter what it would have to stack 2 trains. My understanding is the second yellow train was used for parts for the other 3 trains. Around 2000 the original 3 trains were in terrible shape and all the best cars from all 4 original trains became the post-2000 yellow train, then the red and blue trains were purchased brand new from Arrow.

I'm pretty sure in 1988 there was a blue train though, there is quite a bit of media footage from the late 80's that shows a blue train present and operating.
CoasterComet
Gulf Coaster

Post by CoasterComet »

^I'm curious about a blue train in 1988 - I was pretty sure they were either red or yellow?

From what I heard back then - the 4th train was in an 'accident' on the way to the park.

As I remember it, trains stacked most of the time. But even when the ride was new, the line moved fast. The capacity was outstanding. Especially when people simply carried their stuff on board. The operation got slower over the years - but the need for it's high capacity decreased significantly.
NotBill
Yankee Clipper

Post by NotBill »

Shockwave was not capable of running 4 trains, only 3 as I remember. I don't remember ever seeing a 4th train. However, I wasn't on the original Shockwave crew, I was there 2nd half of '89 (2nd season), I suppose it could have been gone by then. I only remember three storage tracks and all three trains would be put back into the storage tracks at night.

The trains were one of each color in '89 as I remember - red, blue and yellow.

--Guy
Guy Finley
aka "Bill" Finley
SFGAm Employee 1988 - 1992
Cheesehead Dave
Yankee Clipper

Post by Cheesehead Dave »

The way I recall the brakes were, there wouldn't be a way of stacking four trains without setting up the ride. And when I subbed up there, with three trains, if we were on interval, by the time a train was out, the next one was ready to be advanced into the station, so I don't thing there would be any benefit to four trains over three.
SFGAm Rides Host - 1990-1995
(1990-Demon, 1991-Power Dive/Cajun, 1992-Loggers, 1993-Eagle, 1994-Space Shuttle, 1995-Iron Wolf)
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

RandyV wrote:I have video from '89 clearly showing the yellow and red trains running the circuit and on the transfer track, but no sign of the blue train(s).
Do you have that video on the internet somewhere?
Whatta day! Whatta place!

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
RandyV
Willard's Whizzer

Post by RandyV »

I'll need to pull it off the tape and put it up somewhere.

I shot the footage in '89 when the ride opened. There were definitely four trains that day, one red and one yellow running the circuit (so only two trains operating) and one red and one yellow on the storage tracks. No blue trains in sight.

Randy
Randy V.
Gurnee will always be my home park...
OldSchoolGAFan
Gulf Coaster

Post by OldSchoolGAFan »

http://youtu.be/9TASnDdR6JY

I recently found this POV YouTube video circa 1993 that clearly shows the riders in a blue train. Hope that clears things up a bit.