Burgers on the Run

All about everything else at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

Burgers on the Run

Post by dth1971 »

Who remembers a dining area at Marriott's Great America called Burgers on the Run? This served hamburgers and hot dogs and was Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote themed.
Mat
Gulf Coaster

Burgers on the Run?

Post by Mat »

It was next to the Tidal Wave and had a big clock out front with the Road Runner's legs as the clock hands. It was closed for several years and sat there empy.

Mat
Amazing Alfredo-Games-Santa Clara-1983
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Mat,

I believe you may be thinking of "A La Burger". It was in Orleans Place, but was next the the back end of the TIDAL WAVE. "Burgers on the Run" was in County Fair. I used to work next door at the Eagle's Flight skyride in Gurnee. We were often up wind from "Burgers on the Run". When the smell of cooking burgers got particularly bad in the station of Eagle's Flight, I remember that one of the leads on Eagles' Flight would make anonymous phone calls to "Burgers on the Run" in which he'd tell them to stop burning those burgers and hang up.

Steven
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

Burgers on the Run

Post by dth1971 »

Burgers on the Run served Road Runner Hamburgers, Wile E. Coyote Cheeseburgers, and Tweety Hot Dogs.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Steve is correct. Today, both places are still there but with different names. The area around "A La Burger" is now the Mardi Gras section of the park, and the name was changed to Bayou Grill. They still do sell burgers, but now with a New Orleans flare to them.

Burgers on the Run also has changed names, but that's all that has changed. They took the "clock" down off the front with the Roadrunner on it when the name changed. I don't exactly remember when that happened for Burgers on The run, but I think it was sometime in the 90's.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

Ahh Burgers on the Run. Or as many of us called it back then,

Burgers with the Runs.

Oh that crazy Great America humor! :)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Was Burgers on the run that wierd looking building next to the Fling's enterance?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

jonrev wrote:Was Burgers on the run that wierd looking building next to the Fling's enterance?
No. That building is a food place, but they served cotton candy, snow cones, and slushies. At one time, the place was called "Sticky Fingers". I'm not sure if that is still the name, or if it has changed names.
Mr. Brian Plencner
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

BrianPlencner wrote:
jonrev wrote:Was Burgers on the run that wierd looking building next to the Fling's enterance?
No. That building is a food place, but they served cotton candy, snow cones, and slushies. At one time, the place was called "Sticky Fingers". I'm not sure if that is still the name, or if it has changed names.
Here is a 2004 photo I took of the building (with a new red paint scheme) next to Fiddlers Fling.

I believe that I also have a 2003 photo somewhere taken from the same angle which shows the building in its original color, Pink!

When I worked at the park, this place was always "Sticky Fingers". Perhaps they should have called this place "Sticky Floors", because anyone who walked inside this building would find there shoes sticking to the floors. I never worked in foods, but I did have to visit each food place on occasion. This building was my least favorite food location to visit.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Yes, this place was originally named "Sticky Fingers" and it was primarily a cotton candy place. To take your point a little further, it could have also been called "Sticky Employees". I knew some of the girls who worked there and they always got cotton candy "overspray" all over themselves in the course of working there.

This building was across the street from Eagle's Flight, next to the first tower of the skyride. Burgers on the Run was next door to Eagle's Flight on the side opposite the train station.

Steven
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

Here is Burgers On the Run (now called Wascal's) in Gurnee. This was taken on Sunday, October 30, 2005. It is kind of at a distance, but it is the building with the red roof.

This of course is in County Fair, with the entrance for the American Eagle on the right. Just out of the picture on the left is the station for Eagle's Flight, which is now used as a restraunt.

Thanks to Julie Stone, who took this picture. I believe it was taken during the 2002 season. The website on the bottom of the picture is no longer valid. If you want to check out her webpage, the web site is http://www.coasterpictures.net
Last edited by BrianPlencner on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Brian Plencner
Papas
Yankee Clipper

Post by Papas »

Redfishpaw, that picture was taken before the overhaul was complete.
Is what it looks like now, its still Sticky Fingers.
twixmix0303
Yankee Clipper

Post by twixmix0303 »

Bleh, just the name "Sticky Fingers" makes me not want to eat there.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Papas wrote:Redfishpaw, that picture was taken before the overhaul was complete.

Is what it looks like now, its still Sticky Fingers.
Hey Papas , thanks for posting the updated photo. I didn't know that they were still working on the building at the time. I am glad that they are still using ''Sticky Fingers", the original name.
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

I believe the Funnelcake Factory was repainted since that photo.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007