Pizza Orleans Fire (January 1999)

All about everything else at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Pizza Orleans Fire (January 1999)

Post by RLAiello »

Does anyone remember this?

Fire Destroys Restaurant At Six Flags Great America

Gurnee, IL - An evening blaze at Six Flags Great America last Friday destroyed the Pizza Orleans fast food restaurant located inside the theme park.

The fire which broke out a little after 7:30 p.m. was first seen by an area resident. Firefighters received word of the fire shortly later after a Six Flags security guard phoned in a report.

According to a local news sources when firefighters arrived on the scene they found the restaurant completely engulfed in flames. The fire threatened the adjacent Bugs Bunny Theater, but firefighters were able to prevent the flames from spreading.

The restaurant was declared a total loss and damages were estimated at $125,000. The cause of the fire remains under investigation, but it is believed that it may have been caused by the buildings hot-water heater or heating unit.

I was working at the park at the time, so the next time I was at the park I drove by (I was a fulltime employee at the time).. it was completely destroyed. But stupid me, I didn't have a camera with me. Never took a single picture. If you saw it today, you'd never know it happened. They rebuilt it exactly as it was, down to the nth detail.

Just a bit o' trivia for y'all. :)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I do remember this. In fact, if you look at the list I posted in this thread

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/forums ... ight=#1813

I have it in there! :D

Here is the entry from my list on this.

January 22
1999: Fire partially destroys Pizza Orleans, in Orleans Place at 7:45 PM. Nearby Theater Royale escapes danger. No other rides or attractions were damaged by the blaze.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992