Souvenirs!

All about everything else at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

In Santa Clara, during the KECO days, the park would have an employee only sale where merchandise and games prizes were sold off at really cheap prices. I don't know what happened after the sale with the leftovers, though.
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

I went to one of those sales and bought several things. Wish I would have hung onto the stuff. I had a baseball style t-shirt with Marvin the Martian standing on top of the Columbia Carousel. :( That was back when they were selling off everything that said Marriott on it.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Tanya,

What did you do with those items you once had? I am surprised by how cheap some things go for on Ebay. Others go for much more.

Jeff
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

Well.... all the stuff that I posted pics of months ago, I have in a box (except the buttons which I have in my collection cases with hundreds of other buttons). The shirt and stuff I bought at that sale, dunno! I've moved seven times since working there, I probably just got rid of them over the years.
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

How many of us kept all our GA stuff over the years lol. I saved everything :)
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

imdaman,

Let's see some of your GA stuff!

Steven
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Someday, right now I don't have a scanner or working camera :?
Signal 6
Buzzy Bee

Left Over Stuffed Animals

Post by Signal 6 »

At the Santa Clara park, we tried to time the ordering of prizes, food and merchandise so that we weren't left over with a huge inventory. With respect to stuffed animals, the game units were usually stripped of their inventory at the end of the year and transported back to the Games Holding Warehouse where it was stored until it was need. Every season brought new prizes, so the old inventory was used to fill in when we ran out of stuff, was placed into the coin operated machines, used as prizes at employee events or sold at the Employee Sale. Some old prizes were sent to our neighbor, the Hope charity, an organization that helped mentally challenged folks. Damaged prizes, like stuffed animals missing eyes or that had minor ripped seams, were sent to Hope where their workers repaired them and sold them to raise money for the charity.
GA Santa Clara Employee 1987-1998
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

Thanks Signal 6 for posting those pics in the photo album, I especially like the buttons.... the yankee clipper farewell button is neat, I rode the clipper in either Aug or early Sept. that year, but I didn't know they were going to take it out.
m_force_4_ever
Gulf Coaster

Post by m_force_4_ever »

those buttons, patches and bumper stickers are very cool! thanks for sharing
Signal 6
Buzzy Bee

Thanks

Post by Signal 6 »

You guys are more than welcome. Ill have to get my scanner busy and upload some more pictures, etc.

So, can anyone tell me what my handle, "Signal 6" means?
GA Santa Clara Employee 1987-1998
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Re: Thanks

Post by BrianPlencner »

Signal 6 wrote: So, can anyone tell me what my handle, "Signal 6" means?
In 1990, I worked in Park Services, but I worked the backstage areas of the park (employee break areas, the service road, etc). I also worked in the picnic grove as well.

Because me and my crew (of 3) could be anywhere in the park, they let me have one of the Radio's that the supervisors used. So, I did pick up on a few of the "codes" used in the park.

If my memory is correct, Signal 6 had to either do with a ride going down, or a ride going up. I recall the message going something like... "Park Base to Operations 6, 12, and Maintance 15....Signal 6, American Eagle Blue side, Signal 6 American Eagle Blue side. Please be advised that there is a loaded train on the lift".

After that, Operations 6, 12, and Maintance 15 would repsond with a "copy that park base", and they would then go figure out why Eagle went down.

Of course, I could be totally off, and it has nothing to do with rides! 8)
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Re: Thanks

Post by Tech Services 1 »

Signal 6 wrote:
So, can anyone tell me what my handle, "Signal 6" means?
As I recall, "Signal 6" was the radio code for a ride being back up and running after a "Signal 2", which was the code for a shutdown.

My favorite recurring radio call was "Signal 2, Cajun Cliffhanger, guest illness", which was followed by the "10-4"s from the ride sups and mechanics. The tone of their voices when they said "10-4" always sounded like "yeah, so what else is new?"
10 minutes later, we would hear "Signal 6, Cajun Cliffhanger".
I think that call came through on a daily basis! :oops:

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
Shelly725
Buzzy Bee

Re: Souvenirs!

Post by Shelly725 »

My grandmother had given this to me a few years ago.

Front

Back

She told me that she had gotten it between the years of 76-79 but she couldn't remember exactly, but a nice little collection piece.
*Been riding Coasters since 1988*

"What id give to take another ride on the Tidal Wave, Shockwave, Sky Whirl, Great American Raceway and Splash Water Falls"
steven
Site Admin

Re: Souvenirs!

Post by steven »

That's a nice piece, Shelly. Thanks for sharing.

Steven