Vine-Covered Walkway

All about everything else at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

Vine-Covered Walkway

Post by JW65 »

Who remembers the vine-covered walkway in the Gurnee park? I know it is no longer part of the park. Where exactly was it located? It was another cool place to sit and relax and cool down from a hot summer day. Not sure if it was a feature in the Santa Clara park as well. Does anyone have a picture of this walkway? It really stands out in my mind from the early years.
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

For Gurnee, I have this feeling like it was in County Fair ... somewhere between Farmer's Market and Demon. And didn't you have a choice of either going into the 'tunnel' with all of the vines or walking outside on the path next to it?
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Thanks! :P Yes, now I remember it being near the Demon after County Fair. Wonder why they took it out? Guess it didn't fit well with the new thrill ride theming of the SFGA park. One of the features of the park that is now history.

Yes, you could either walk through it or go around it. It wasn't a bridge, that much I am pretty sure about.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

It curved along the Sky Whirl site. Here's a photo of it before the plants were added:

In the foreground, you can see the uncovered walkway that went alongside it.

Steven
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Wow again! Was this one from Gurnee or Santa Clara? I really like the position of the Sky Whirl in the background. Very cool picture!

Did you take these pictures yourself, Steven? And, I might add, all of the pictures you post are so clear and look new. We are lucky to have these to look at, that's for sure!
SFGAmLover
Yankee Clipper

Post by SFGAmLover »

It looks like there are mountains in the distance. Sometimes that's the only way I can tell the pictures apart (if at all!).
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Ah yes, now I see, Santa Clara! :P Wonder why the vines weren't on the frame yet? Could this be the first year of the park's operation?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Yes, that's Santa Clara all right. Most of the photos are archive shots. Some of the photos that I took myself are also included here and there. This particular Sky Whirl archival photo was taken prior to the start of the first season, I believe.

Steven
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

That was one of my favorite places to sit and people watch.
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I believe that this covered walkway (in Gurnee) needed to be removed along with Skywhirl so that Déjà Vu would fit.
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

^ It wasn't removed for Deja Vu, it was replaced by the games in front of Deja.
It's Whizzer time!
ewilson
Yankee Clipper

Post by ewilson »

In the SC park during Holloween they constructed a haunted maze through this structure with the plants adding a lot of creepiness to it
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Here is a picture of the vine-covered walkway in front of Sky Whirl with vines on it.

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/sg/rid ... irl020.jpg
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Especially for Jeff...a photo of the famous vine-covered walkway in Gurnee. Actually, it's a photo of Sky Whirl that captured a portion of the walkway. I took this photo the last time that I was in Gurnee, which was in 1998. At the time, I took my last ride on the Gurnee Sky Whirl, although I did not know then that I'd had my last ride on this magnificent machine.

Steven
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Thank you, Steven.