Restaurants and Shops from Santa Clara, 1976

All about everything else at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

Restaurants and Shops from Santa Clara, 1976

Post by JW65 »

1976 Restaurants and Shops at Marriott's Great America, Santa Clara
A kinder, more gentler time indeed...read on!

Adapted from the 1976 Santa Clara MGA brochure.

Orleans Place

Buffet Le Grand - Fine cuisine with a hint of Cajun magic. Breakfast for early birds.

Mardi Gras Emporium - Unique gifts, appareel, and memorabilia.

Yankee Harbor

Captain Morgan's Seafood - Offers special fare like steamed shrimp, crab cakes and other catches of the day.

Tradewinds Import Company - Imports from Polynesia, the Orient, and South America are ready for your inspection at dockside.

Yukon Territory

Klondike Cafe and Snowshoe Saloon - There's stick-to-yer-ribs hearty stews in the Cafe and pickles, peanuts, and a mug of frosty brew in the Saloon, plus a high-kicking show for all to watch.

Moosejaw Trading Co. - Head to the Yukon's wharf area and see the leather craftsmen, the assayer and printers plying their trades.

The Great Midwest Livestock Exposition and County Fair

Farmer's Market - Nine different walk-up international restaurants bring frozen custards, Swedish waffles, French fries, and many more tasty foods to this county fair. Fiddlers and down-home music get toes tapping.

Games Gallery - Try your skill at 19 colorful games. There are plush prizes for the winners. Wholesome games for the whole family.

Hometown Square

Maggie Brown's Boarding House - This restaurant has Mrs. Brown's own special fried chicken, sourdough muffins, and apple dumplings. Mmmmm! Mrs. Brown! And right next door, Brown's Bakery is filled with sweet smelling goodies.

The Hot Shoppe - It's where Marriott Corporation all began. Here, we've re-created the original 1927, nine stool root beer stand that grew to an international company with a family of over 50,000 employees in 700 operations world wide.

Candlemakers, Broom Makers, and Artists - Gather at Truman's Woolworth's General Merchandise Store.

Carnation's Engine Company No. 1 - This place is alive with activity, as the volunteer fire department harmonizes old favorites before thier own 1863 fire engine. And, wet your whistle with an old-fashioned phosphate float at this ice cream social.

That's not all folks. There's more. Much more. More rides, more shows, more shops, more games, more tasty foods, so very much more to do and see at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA. More than most people can fit into one day - so come back soon and often.

We're glad you discovered Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, the Country of Fun for everyone. Enjoy your visit because we enjoy your company and want to help make this a special time to remember.
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Here's a list of the food outlets I remember in the first year at Santa Clara. There might be a few mistakes from this list, but it's combined from what I remember and what I have in documents.

I have the first month brochure they handed out at the entrance gate with the same information you have.

Orleans Place:
Buffet Le Grand
A la Burger
Pizza Orleans

Yankee Harbor:
Captain Morgan's Seafood
Dockside Grill

Yukon Territory:
Klondike Cafe
Snowshow Saloon
Yu-kon-do-it Sandwich Shop
The Cache

Mid-West County Fair:
Farmer's Market
Blue Ribbon BBQ
Pizzaluigi
Burgers on the Run
Sticky Fingers

Hometown Square:
Maggie Brown's Boarding House
Brown's Bakery
Hometown Grill
Ice Cream Social
The Hot Shoppe
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Here's a list of the shops outlets on my opening year Santa Clara MGA map which I just found . I left off the games even though some might consider it an extension of merchandise.

Orleans Place:
Mardi Gras Emporium
Penny P. Patrick's Praline Parlour
Maison le Crystal
Lafitte's Treasures
Merry Managerie
Arcade d'Accessories
Chapeau Chateau
Allie Mistique Magic

Yankee Harbor:
Trade Winds Import Co.
Glass Schooner
Nautical Shop
Woodworking, Tobacco & Pottery Shop

Yukon Territory:
Moosejaw Trading Company
Print Shop
Totem Pole Carvers

Mid-West County Fair:
Plush Horse
Side Show Shirt Shop
Hat Shop

Hometown Square:
Truman Woodworth General Merchandise
Artists Alley
Candle Making
Matinee Jewelry
Opera House Sweet Shop

Carousel Plaza:
Cameras & Film
The Happy Hatter
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

Post by dth1971 »

The Yu-Kon-Do-It sandwich shop in Yukon Territory later became Roy Rogers, I guess.
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Ooops! The 1976 Santa Clara MGA first month brochure didn't go into all the detail that Santa Cruisin mentions. WOW, this is "great"!

Santa Cruisin,

Can we assume that Gurnee had identical shops / restaurants as were included in Santa Clara?
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Re: 1976

Post by Santa Cruisin »

dth1971 wrote:The Yu-Kon-Do-It sandwich shop in Yukon Territory later became Roy Rogers, I guess.
I'm pretty sure it did too. I also remember Captain Morgan's Seafood being renamed Harbor Inn and Dockside Grill became Foghorn's Fries later.
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

For the Gurnee Park, I pulled out my 1980 Park map to get the following. By the way, the map cost me 47 CENTS, and its one of those big fold out ones.

Carousel Plaza
Shops
  • Gateway Gifts
    Plaza Gifts
    The Happy Hatter
    Souvenirs
    Camera Shop (camera rental & film sales)
Hometown Square
Shops
  • Opera House Sweet Shop
    Matinee Jewelry
    Jim Bouy's General Merchandise
    Artist's Alley (portrait artists)
    Timeless Toys (plush and more)
Food & Drink
  • Farrell's Ice Cream and Pizza Parlour
    The Hot Shoppe (10 cent root beer)
    The Hometown Grill (hamburgers)
    Hometown Boarding House (chicken dinners)
    Hometown Bakery (cookies and sweets)
County Fair
Shops
  • Fanciful Fabrics & Mercantile Co
    The Plush Horse (stuffed animals & toys)
    Sky Whirl Souvenirs
Food & Drink
  • Blue Ribbon BBQ
    Farmer's Market
    Pizzaluigi
    Burgers on the Run
    Sticky Fingers (cotton candy & cherry slush)
    The 'Tweet Shop (ice cream)
Yukon Territory
Shops
  • Moosejaw Trading Company (print shop)
    Antique Photographs
    Totem post (woodshop)
Food & Drink
  • The Cache (corn dogs and hot dogs)
    Klondike Cafe (specialty-beef dishes) and Snowshoe Saloon (beer)
    Roy Rogers (roast beef sandwiches, ham sandwiches, beer and soft drinks)
Yankee Harbor
Shops
  • Tradewinds Import Company
    Waxsmith's Shop and Pottery Shop
    Glass Schooner (nautical gift shop and glass sculptures)
Food & Drink
  • Dockside Grill (hamburgers)
    Captian Morgan's Seafood (specialty-seafood)
Orleans Place
Shops
  • Masion Le Pot Pourri
    Arcade d'Accessories
    Alle Mistique Magic
    Merrie Menagerie
    Lafitte's Treasure Chest of Toys
    Mardi Gras Emporium
Food & Drink
  • Levee Spaghetti Restraunt
    Pizza Orleans
    A la Burger
    Penny P. Patrick's Praline Parlour
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
ewilson
Yankee Clipper

Post by ewilson »

I don't know how many people know where the names came from for many of the shops and restraunts. Maggie Brown is the wife of Dave Brown, the first GM of the SC park. He also previously owned the land the park is on. Penny P. Patrick is the wife of the first Director of Entertainment for both parks. Jim Bouy I believe was the GM after Dave Brown left. When the park opened there were many other small things named after wives of the big wigs.
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

ewilson: Do you happen to know who Truman Woodworth and R.P. Johnson were? I believe those were the names of the General Merchandise stores in Hometown Square.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Santa Cruisin wrote:Do you happen to know who Truman Woodworth and R.P. Johnson were? I believe those were the names of the General Merchandise stores in Hometown Square.
They were the park general managers of Santa Clara and Gurnee, respectively.

Steven
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Maggie Brown

Post by RLAiello »

Oddly enough, the last time I was at Six Flags Great America, a portrait of "Maggie Brown" was STILL hanging in the Hometown Boarding House. I didn't realize that they had started calling it "Hometown Boarding House" as early as 1980... I thought that was a Marriott to Six Flags switch for the park. Good trivia!
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

It was hard to keep track of the Maggie Brown's / Hometown Boarding House name changes. Apparently the renaming was done at both parks. At Gurnee, the "hall talk" among employees was that some OTHER Maggie Brown showed up and demanded free food, so they changed the name. I never gave that story much weight, though. I'm sure that the genuine Maggie Brown wouldn't have had to demand free food. ;-)

I don't recall the Maggie Brown portrait in the restaurant. Is it a portrait of the real Maggie Brown?

Steven