Farmer's Market

All about everything else at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
dth1971
Yankee Clipper

Farmer's Market

Post by dth1971 »

Was the Farmer's Market in the Marriott's Great America parks the concept of what shopping mall food courts would be like?
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Probably, but unlike most food courts, these stands sold only 1-3 items each.

I remember a:

taco stand
Coke stand (softs drinks only)
sub shop (sold only one type of sandwich by the inch)
Fries Shop (sold only french fries)
fruit & vegetable stand

The others I don't remember.

I used to eat there a lot because it required the least amount of effort. My favorite was the sub shop.
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

They also had a spaghetti shop and a place that served ice cream in baseball batting helmets.
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

Tanya,

Do you remember the names of those shops in Farmer's Market?
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi,

I don't remember them all right now. I mainly remember Andre's Prize-Winning French Fries.
They were so good. In the photo above, btw, she's wearing the popular MGA Bugs Bunny rabbit ears. She also has on a Marriott's GREAT AMERICA heart-shaped pendant.

Steven
Tanya
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tanya »

I can't remember their names. There also was a beer stand and wasn't there a place that sold just nachos?
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

I have a map from 1986, and it lists what was in the Farmers Market for the Gurnee park.

Jose's Tacos
Serves a variety of Mexican specialties including tacos and tostadas, nachoes with cheese, Spanish rice and deep fried burritos. Ole!

Gliovanni's
A delightful array of Italina specialties including spaghetti dinners, hearty meatball sandwiches, Italian beef sandwiches and sausage pizzas.

Corn Dog
Hot delicious corn dogs and cheese sticks are the specialties here

Steve's Deli
An outstanding selection of deli sandwiches, top round roast beef, fresh ham or turkey, and corn beef served. Reuben and club sandwiches are also available.

Homeplate Sunday Shop NEW in 1986
Batter up! Fresh made sundae cones. Refreshing coke floats, or ice cream sundaes served in a helmet facsimile of your favorite baseball team are in the line-up here.

County Fair Grill
For the hearty appetite try a U.S. Choice ribeye steak sandwich straight from the grill, or 100% pure ground beef 1/3 pound hamburgers. have your burgers topped with cheese and bacon. French fries are available.

Schultz's Weiners
For a taste of the old country there is bratwurst or Polish sausage on a bun. For the All Americans, there is the Coney Island hot dog, an East coast delight, smothered with chili, cheese and onions! The Chicago hot dog is a hometown favorite with sauerkraut, mustard, pickles, sport peppers cucumbers, tomatoes and diced onions!

Andre's French Fries
Andre presents his award winning speciality French fries! Nachos are availabe for those who prefer a little more spice in life!

Foghorn Leghorn Chicken
Have a golden chicken fillet sandwich or crispy breaded chicken nuggets

Pizza Express NEW 1986
Cheese, sausage and pepperoni pizzas are served. Refreshing lemon freezes to quench your thirst on those hot sunny afternoons.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
Santa Cruisin
Yankee Clipper

Post by Santa Cruisin »

I remember the nachos there. I think it was part of the taco stand. I usually went to Farmer's Market with a group of friends and we always split up to get something suited to our own tastes and meet back at a table. In addition we each found our way to Andre's French Fries to pick up a large cup of fries to compliment our meal.

I think there was a gazebo in the middle of the dining area with a band playing music too.
Jefoc Avsan
Buzzy Bee

Post by Jefoc Avsan »

It was called Mucho Nacho.The place sold nachos,sodas and lemonade.I think we served beer there too.

Although most food outlets in the "MARKET" were connected in one building,ours was the only place that was open air.Everyone else was behind glass with the hot grills and fryers.

Rainy days sucked and some mornings were chilly but other than that we had it nicer than most.I remember that spring and summer MGA had bands that played in the gazebo,so we got to watch as well.

I started @ MGA SantaClara in Oct.1982 when the park started to stay open weekends past Labor Day.I worked at the BurgerBarn in the market until a weekend or two after Halloween. Then MGA closed down for the season and re-opened in March 1983.

I worked MUCHO NACHO all the spring and summer of 1983.I was in line to be a lead but I left in August to persue a career in electronics.My last weeks there I also cashiered that ice cream place that was in the market (a stand-alone building) and the giant beer keg wagon but THAT'S another story. . .
Choosy mothers choose Jeff
Kyle414
Buzzy Bee

Post by Kyle414 »

I wish it was still like that today. I would've loved to have a brat, beer, cup o fries, and a sunday in a Brewers helmet haha. I can do that at Miller Park, but they HAVE more than just that! That variety sounds amazing. I wouldn't eat anywhere else at GAm, except for som fried chicken at what is Martha's. Now there is very little of that, and it makes me sad. No matter where you go it's the same stuff, save for the pizza/pasta places.

Kyle
TripplePlay93
Yankee Clipper

Post by TripplePlay93 »

The best place is Demon Nachos, for some reason they just taste better there.
Great America, My dream come true

Save Great America Raceway.
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

I remember Jose's tacos... They used to have a pretty good Burrito
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

^My friend's mom worked at Jose's Tacos in the Marriott era.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
JimS
Buzzy Bee

Re: Farmer's Market

Post by JimS »

So I am new to this forum and only found it by chance. I worked at the Farmer's Market, in Santa Clara, at Schultzes Weiners and Andre's Fries for many years. My first job ever at Schultzes and I was rolling in the money at $2.20/hr in 1976. I later transferred to the Foods Warehouse my third year working there. I have some great memories and will reflect on them in the coming days. I hope and pray some former friends will have a nostalgic memory and search for this site. as well.

Some friends I remember? Jeanie Z, my first love, Cathy, my second, Art Mendoza, Dean McIntosh, Bob and Karen, Debbie Dang, Cherie, Sean Green, Tracie Dais, Bruce Lim, Evelyn, and many others. Silvia in the Foods office, Ron Bergkamp, Bob helmholz, Michelle Tharp, Michelle Miller? Something maybe Theresa Frischolz, the most beautiful girl in the world. Unfortunately, I am of an age where the names come and go and I apologize for missing any friends. I looked through one photo drop and saw a beautiful brunette girl working the coke kiosk and remember her, but not her name, and was absolutely in love with her from afar. Too Funny.

But to answer the question of what was there at Farmers Market?
I remember of course Schultzes, Andres, Jose's Tacos, Clancy's Custard, Tino's Subway sandwiches, Giovannis Spaghetti, the Coke stand in the middle.

Great memories and great friends. Hopefully some will have other memories to add?