All about everything else at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

Thats cool. Thanks for posting!
LS202
Gulf Coaster

Post by LS202 »

I loved the cheeseburgers in the cafeteria. I also remember getting free sodas when it got over 90 degrees. I was 16 and thought that was a cool perk.
Laura Carousel Souviners 85-86
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

LS202 wrote:I loved the cheeseburgers in the cafeteria. I also remember getting free sodas when it got over 90 degrees. I was 16 and thought that was a cool perk.
Wow! I forgot about that perk. :D
Now I remember taking advantage of it many times . . . I was practically addicted to Diet Coke back then :shock:

PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
eight10
Gulf Coaster

Post by eight10 »

I miss the old PGA food hotline. That was one of the coolest things.
minivanmegafun
Buzzy Bee

Post by minivanmegafun »

Tech Services 1 wrote:This is a GREAT topic.
We could supplement our brown-bags with vending machine fare down at Vendo Land, which was a break area in the Facilities building, but that got real old by the time winter was over.
Vendo-Land is now called the Melon Patch. How it ended up with a name change, I don't know, that's well before I started working here.

The cafeteria is still awful, if anyone is really curious. I found a nice little metal peg in my philly cheesesteak a few days ago, and since then, I've been bringing my lunch in.

It's still cheap, though, $4 is all it takes for the special with a drink.
Merchandise (Bugs & Co) 1999
Merchandise (Casual Pool) 2000
Cash Control (Pickup Teller) 2004
Cash Control (Night Supervisor) 2005-
da1gloc
Gulf Coaster

Post by da1gloc »

Hell yaa, the burgers were great. I have an aunt that still works there full time and she would bring boxes of frozen burgers, dogs, and buns home at the end of the season. YUM!!
G. Nagle

SFGA games employee from 88 thru 91

PizzaOrleans'78
Buzzy Bee

Post by PizzaOrleans'78 »

You guys actually remember that stuff? I sort of do but 1978 was a lonnng time ago.

I only remember the pizza we cooked. I do remember one particularly hot blond that worked outside the theatre though.

I also remember wardrobe. We had to wear those little grey slacks and either a pink, green, or blue button up shirt with some sort of vest-type thingie too.

Other than that, my memories of Great America, Santa Clara have all faded with time.

Anyone remember Buddy what's his name's little intro he did for the employees of year '78? I don't know why that memory came back but it was one of the few that did.
Shep
Buzzy Bee

Post by Shep »

I certainly remember the Cafeteria... running over after a show at Theater Royale... grabbing three double burgers, two fries, and a coke and having a eat-off with Matt Riley (another stage tech).

The girls from Royale and Music hall always looking so CUTE !!

I also remember skipping the Cafeteria a few times and getting pizza from Pizza Royale.

On the "walking" thread... I remember the walk from Royale to the back-gate... the worst in 1980 (?) during the "It's a Magic World" season... when the park was open thru Christmas !! That COLD rain along the walk past the "lake", the boneyard... and the EERIE calls of the peacocks that ran loose back there
Theater Royale Crew 1979-1985
PGAsecurity99
Gulf Coaster

Post by PGAsecurity99 »

Bedrock Cafe food wasn't all that bad. Definately better than what was served to the guests inside the park. We got a sandwich bar, chili cheese fries, french dip, huge taco salads. Free refills on soda. It could have been worse. I work in a hotel now, and since I am on graveyard, my only choises are pizza or a sandwich that is half a day old.

The best part of working in Santa Clara was that one time a year when they would have the In-N-Out Burger truck serve lunch near Bedrock. I love Double Doubles.
Morgansupertech
Gulf Coaster

Post by Morgansupertech »

:cry: I'm sorry to say that Bedrock is no more. Cedar Fair renamed it The 4 Corners Cafe...LAME!!!!!!!! Everyone hates it and there is this big tacky square sign on it now. The old sign is in the Mill Shop, ill snap a picture if I get the chance. I wish the food is as good now as yall said it used to be. Cafe food is REAL bad now. Except one day the special was ribs and fried chicken! 5 PORK RIBS AND HALF A DAMN CHICKEN!!! Needless to say it was an EPIC lunch and I had a very hard time climbing the fly rail ladder for the 6:00 Twistin show.
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

Re: Employee cafeteria

Post by jimmy gimbels »

The "Character Cafe" is still is business and offer employees the best values in the park. Always on the menu: chicken fingers and burgers. Rotating specials every day. I love the cheesy beef sandwich on crusty roll...with soda for $3.50. The room is decorated with movie posters. There are "unofficial" areas for management and security people. You can also eat outside on the covered patio but that needs a bit of refurbishment.
forddude1416
Gulf Coaster

Post by forddude1416 »

I think the character cafe was the only time i ever ate in the park. you got like 3 to 6 chicken strips (it so depended on who was working there and how much they cared) on a bed of fries. I just remember never knowing where to sit or when to go back to my shift. I knew it was a 30 minute break but i never could judge the time back properly (I worked at the far south end). plus i never realised how exhausting the job was until i finally got a chance to sit down. Those hard plastic chairs felt like a overstuffed recliner by the time you had lunch.
RichPPPSC
Buzzy Bee

Post by RichPPPSC »

I couldn't agree with you more. I worked at the Santa Clara park and remembered how much I loved heading to the cafeteria with friends for lunch. I spent most of my time in the cheeseburger and frise side of the two lines. Good times and great memories :-)
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

OK, I just recalled one of the most notorious things about the Employee Cafeteria - The telephone. That thing would ring ALL THE DAMN TIME! And some supervisor would run up and answer it and yell out "JILL FROM TIDAL WAVE!" "BOBBY FROM DEMON!" "TIM FROM CAROUSEL!" - it was always a rides person being summoned. And sometimes nobody would answer the phone and it would ring and ring and ring. Along with the Haybaler and Sky Whirl, that was the most prevalent sound in the place.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

Post by jimmy gimbels »

Don't forget the break areas along the service corridor. Soda and snack machines. Ceilings fans, picnic tables and bathroom. Some departments would let you store your lunch in the area's dock box so you didn't have to go all the way to the locker rooms. Sometimes the trek to the Cartoon Cafe is too far away to make it during a 30 minute break.

Sorry to say SFGA has not maintained the breaks areas. Soda and water machines churn out a warm product. Candy is very old and very stale. Ceiling fans do not function. Most tables are in disrepair.

It was a marvel how well Marriott maintained backstage areas. Six Flags - not so much.