Caricature Drawings

All about everything else at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

Caricature Drawings

Post by JW65 »

It was the summer of 1984 and I had my caricature drawn by a very talented artist at the Gurnee park. I seem to remember that the location was somewhere near the American Eagle. Can someone confirm this location? Seems like there were two stations in the park for these artists.

I still have this caricature today. It brings back great memories about going to Great America when I could still ride all the rides and not get sick. Do other people remember having a caricature drawn of them in the park? Would be cool to post a few of these on this site somewhere.

Jeff
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Hi, Jeff,

I don't recall the exact locations of caricature artists in the parks in the early years. In recent years at Santa Clara, I've seen them usually near Maggie Brown's in what was once Hometown Square.

Soon the site should have scrapbook galleries set up for users to create their own albums. You might consider sharing your caricature there.

Steven
Grantn
Buzzy Bee

Re: Caricature Drawings

Post by Grantn »

(Sorry to revive an ancient thread but thought some might be interested.)

I was the Wood Carver's apprentice at Gurnee. I started before the park opened and was there for opening day and through the first summer. One of our caricature artists routinely set up by my wood shop (Wood/tobacco/pottery were all one shop in three sections back then). On slow nights I would sit outside the shop and whittle instead of carve and in turn he would draw. He did quite a few of me in our boredom. Below is one I still have. I remember his first name was Bob but I don't remember the last. I was just a college kid at the time and he was substantially older than myself. Thoroughly enjoyed our talks and miss those days.