On the Way to Marriott's Great America

All about everything else at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA
JW65
Tidal Wave

On the Way to Marriott's Great America

Post by JW65 »

Gurnee Park: I am sure many of you remember driving or being driven to Marriott's in the summer time when you were a kid/teen. As you got closer to the park there would probably be a traffic jam of other park goers on their way too. Cars would be filled with lots of kids. I always remember passing by Lambs Farm on I94 in neighboring Libertyville and wondering...."What is this place all about? (Go to http://www.lambsfarm.org/ to find out if you don't already know). If you were driving from the south, you'd remember passing Lambs Farm too. It wouldn't be until years later when I finally visited Lambs Farm and found out what a neat place it is. I associated passing Lambs Farm with "We are almost to Great America now." The radio in the car would be tuned into AM radio, probably WLS with some 70's pop hit blasting.

It always seemed like a long drive up to the park when you were a kid, anxious to get there, jump out of the car and ride the "cool new ride for the year." If you were lucky, your parents wouldn't be along as chaperones. :lol:

Jeff
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

I remember signs for the Lambs Farm and never knowing anything more about it. The main thing that I remember on the long drive up the tollway to the Gurnee park was the first glimpse of the spinning Sky Whirl in the distance as you neared Washington Avenue. That was always exciting.

Steven
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

Since we drove from Kenosha, Wisconsin, we should have taken I-94 into Gurnee, but instead we always took back highways. My dad used to drive down (I am hoping I remembering the name) Dilley's Road <?> because it would end right in front of the park. I remember that distinctively because the Sky Trek Tower looked like it was coming directly out in front of us... and we'd watch it get closer and closer and closer.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

RLAiello wrote:Since we drove from Kenosha, Wisconsin, we should have taken I-94 into Gurnee, but instead we always took back highways. My dad used to drive down (I am hoping I remembering the name) Dilley's Road <?> because it would end right in front of the park. I remember that distinctively because the Sky Trek Tower looked like it was coming directly out in front of us... and we'd watch it get closer and closer and closer.
Yes, it was Dilleys Road. In fact, when I go to the park most times I will go that way from Zion, IL.

Also on that road, is the Gold Pyramid House.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/get ... onNo==5952

It is located on the East side of the road, just a bit north of Stearns School Road.
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

BrianPlencner wrote: Yes, it was Dilleys Road. In fact, when I go to the park most times I will go that way from Zion, IL.

Also on that road, is the Gold Pyramid House.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/get ... onNo==5952

It is located on the East side of the road, just a bit north of Stearns School Road.
Sometimes I scare myself with what I remember. :)

Ah yes, the Pyramid House... owned by the Onan family. I went to high school with one of that guy's neices. She was cool but she said her uncle was a bit ... odd. :)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
klemrock
Gulf Coaster

Post by klemrock »

3 places jump to mind on the way to MGA:

Avalon restaurant (has been flooded twice and burned down at least once since 1983). Good history, bad food.

In-Laws (oh gawd, the drinking.....) 8)

Poor Richards Pub (oh gawd, more drinking....) :shock:
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

Hey Klemrock,

You mean MGA in Gurnee or Santa Clara? I don't remember those places on the way to MGA in Gurnee.

JW
klemrock
Gulf Coaster

Post by klemrock »

Gurnee.
Avalon and In-Laws are right next to each other near the intersection of Rt. 21 (Milwaukee) and Rt. 132 (Grand Avenue). The Amoco is right on the corner, the VFW with the tank is just on the other side.
To get to Poor Richards Pub, just head east on Grand and turn off onto Old Grand Avenue. PR's looks like a trailer (ya know, I think is IS a double-wide) and is on the left.

Its amazing that these three places have remained pretty much the same over 20 years. The rest of the area has changed dramatically. The offices, restaurants, and homes directly across the street from the employees' entrance are all fairly new. Back in the 80s, it was all open field all the way north to the VFW baseball diamond.

Where were you coming from, JW?
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

klemrock wrote:3 places jump to mind on the way to MGA:

Avalon restaurant (has been flooded twice and burned down at least once since 1983). Good history, bad food.

In-Laws (oh gawd, the drinking.....) 8)

Poor Richards Pub (oh gawd, more drinking....) :shock:
Actually it was In-Laws that burned down, not Avalon.

I went to In-Laws with my sister (another former park employee) the other day and it looks COMPLETELY different inside. Due, of course, to the fire.

Oh yeah... GOOD TIMES at those places. :)
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
JW65
Tidal Wave

Post by JW65 »

I would come from Chicago up I94.
HoneyBunny
Gulf Coaster

Post by HoneyBunny »

We used to come up I94 as well, there used to be a Wendy's Oasis (I think it was almost to Lamb's Farm...? my memory is rusty :)) Anyway, last time we rode by it was a McDonald's like all the other Oasis' which is a shame really. We used to stop for Frosty's on the way home, tired and smelling like you smell after a day at the park.
"How much money you got left?"
"$2.50, why?"
"Buy me a twicket!"
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Re: On the Way to Marriott's Great America

Post by Demonlover13 »

JW65 wrote:Gurnee Park: I am sure many of you remember driving or being driven to Marriott's in the summer time when you were a kid/teen. As you got closer to the park there would probably be a traffic jam of other park goers on their way too. Cars would be filled with lots of kids. I always remember passing by Lambs Farm on I94 in neighboring Libertyville and wondering...."What is this place all about? (Go to http://www.lambsfarm.org/ to find out if you don't already know). If you were driving from the south, you'd remember passing Lambs Farm too. It wouldn't be until years later when I finally visited Lambs Farm and found out what a neat place it is. I associated passing Lambs Farm with "We are almost to Great America now." The radio in the car would be tuned into AM radio, probably WLS with some 70's pop hit blasting.

It always seemed like a long drive up to the park when you were a kid, anxious to get there, jump out of the car and ride the "cool new ride for the year." If you were lucky, your parents wouldn't be along as chaperones. :lol:

Jeff
I do the same exact thing! Whenever I pass Lambs Farm, I know we're getting close. If I'm not mistaken, there's a big cow you can see from the road.
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
TripplePlay93
Yankee Clipper

Post by TripplePlay93 »

Yeah the In-Laws has really changed, i have been going there for the last 5 years for motorcycle group meetings on Sundays.
Great America, My dream come true

Save Great America Raceway.