Name Badges and Buttons

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Gurnee Park Nametag Colors '77-'82

Post by MGA1 »

As I remember it from my supervisor days, the background colors on the name tags in Gurnee from 1977-1982 were:

White - seasonal costumed employee
Yellow - seasonal costumed employee under 16 years old
Blue - seasonal costumed supervisors
Red - permanent full-time management
Green - non-costumed employees

I don't remember seeing Grey backgrounds on a nametag that RedFishPaw mentioned but I could be mistaken.

They differentiated the "under 16" color because the child labor laws regarding the times & # of hours that a 15 year old could work were very limited & this allowed for easily identifying any 15 year olds that were on-property when they shouldn't be.
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Re: Gurnee Park Nametag Colors '77-'82

Post by Tech Services 1 »

MGA1 wrote:As I remember it from my supervisor days, the background colors on the name tags in Gurnee from 1977-1982 were:

White - seasonal costumed employee
Yellow - seasonal costumed employee under 16 years old
Blue - seasonal costumed supervisors
Red - permanent full-time management
Green - non-costumed employees

I don't remember the "under 16" style, but yellow tags were worn by Full-time Permanent hourly employees, and we had our full names engraved on the tags. Did the "under 16"s wear yellow tags with just their first names on them?
I had a white tag for a while, because I was originally hired as a seasonal tech, then I made Permanent that summer.

-PPG
Last edited by Tech Services 1 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by MGA1 »

The more I think about it, the YELLOW nametags for employees under 16 weren't used in '76-'78. I think they started using those later...and they only had the employee's first name on the tag. In fact, I don't think there were any employees under 15 in '76 or '77.

I started in 1977 and I had to be 16 to be an Area Host. I really had wanted to start in Rides but the minimum age was 18 back then. For the 1978 season, that policy changed a little. The age for Ride Operators was lowered to 17...but only if you had worked at the park the previous year. If you were a new employee, you still had to be 18 to be a Ride Operator.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"