After hours MGA employee hangouts

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

After hours MGA employee hangouts

Post by MGA1 »

I have fond memories of going out drinking most nights after park closing with MGA friends. In the Marriott years, the legal drinking age in Illinois was 21 but it was only 18 in Wisconsin. However, I was 16 when I started in 1977. I was still able to get into Poor Richard's when I showed up with our MGA group. I also remember going to a place called "The Fog Cutter" for beer & pizza. It was located west of I-94....I think it was located right on Grand Avenue near Gages Lake. Can anyone tell me if it's still located there?

After I turned 18, many of us would head up to Kenosha...I can't remember all the little corner bars we'd frequent. There also was one larger club/disco located right near UW-Parkside that many MGAers would go to...can't recall the name of that place.

Downtown Milwaukee was also a fun trip. I loved going up there to "The Safe House", we'd also stop in at "Paul Revere's" and another place called "Someplace Else"...it was a dark funky bar that you entered through an alley...it was pretty close to The Safe House as I recall. The only problem was that after drinking, I never wanted to drive on the way back...so I'd end up asking someone else (who hopefully wasn't as drunk as me) to drive...we'd end up coming back to the MGA employee lot and then I'd drive myself home. OK, I admit it now, that was really really stupid!!! Fortunately we never had an accident or close calls or DUIs.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

Three-way tie for most popular after-hours hangouts:
-Poor Richard's Pub (a.k.a. Dick's)
-Avalon restaurant (before it was remodeled)
-In-Law's bar & restaurant

Poor Richard's . . . don't get me started (but you were right about one thing- they were a bit lax on carding people! I oughta know!)

Avalon . . . many a 2 a.m. meal consumed there during the spring when we were getting the theatres set up! I think the MGA crowd built that place!

In-Laws . . . became more popular in the mid '80s. I think we were looking for something a bit "classier" than Dick's? Either that or we were trying to avoid hearing "Thriller" played again and again . . . :shock:

-PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

In-Laws is still operating I think. Haven't heard of the other two.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

Avalon is still there. I never went to Poor Richard's but always heard about it.

In-Laws apparently had a fire a few years ago and remodeled VERY extensively. The building is still there as it always was (always reminded me of an old Pizza Hut) but the inside is nothing like the dump it used to be back in the old days. :-D

Another popular spot was Denny's by Lakehurst. Any place that had late night food was good for the group.
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999