Wardrobe

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
gstar
Buzzy Bee

Wardrobe

Post by gstar »

How about it? Where's all the chat about costumes- our very themed uniforms back in the Marriott days? Or, Wardrobe, the location to hang out before or after work... the source of all the party information... Do you have any idea what REALLY went on behind the counter...back in all those many racks of crammed in clothing? Oh, do I have memories! Most from Park Wardrobe, some from Show Wardrobe and a few from Park Services... 22 season's worth, actually. I truly LOVED working at "The Park"! It helped cultivate a work ethic in me as a teenager, that has served me well as a grown-up. I learned life lessons and grew in confidence. But, most treasured are the friendships which began there 20... 30 years ago, that today form a priceless support network.
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

Hey gstar-
Here's a wardrobe-related item for ya:
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... =60&pos=36

Could that be your unique signature at the lower right corner???
:D

I'll never forget the work you girls did on my uniforms- you actually sewed sleeve extentions on my jackets and raincoats to fit my crazy-length arms!

I doubt many people realize how big a job you had, keeping the costumes and uniforms looking top-notch.

And I do remember hanging out there many times. Always a great place to get the latest "news".

Can you tell us about what went on in the racks, or is that something for "private posts"??? :shock:

-PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Gretta from Wardrobe

Post by MGA1 »

So is GSTARR actually the fabulous Gretta of MGA Wardrobe? I have only the best memories of all the Wardrobe staffers....they always were so very helpful to me. I totally remember Gretta as one of my very favorites. In '78, I worked closing shifts at Logger's Run. Gretta was such a sweetheart, she'd always save me a Green Yukon shirt in my size because it matched my eyes & because I never liked the gold or the brown colored ones.

Gretta was also the person who did my very first costume fitting in '77 when I was an Area Host....remember those crazy psuedo-safari type costumes with the gold pants for males. The females had gold short shorts. I remember there was one male Area Host who would wear the female shorts. I don't know how he was able to get wardrobe to issue them to him or why his supervisor allowed it, but it was really weird seeing him sweeping in the park in those tight girl's short shorts.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
gstar
Buzzy Bee

Post by gstar »

Yes, it's me, MGA1 but, I'm not sure who you are. However, your mention of green Yukon shirts prompts another memory for me: the fanatic attachment to specific costume colors by employees. The availability of 3 color choices of costumes in each themed area, which, I'm sure was planned to convey a more colorful, animated look, was a huge challenge for the Wardrobe department. Does anyone remember the favorite color in each area during the Marriott days? And, Tech Services 1, thanks for the copy of your Wardrobe receipt. Twenty-seven years ago? WOW!!! "What went on in the racks" refers to funny stuff, not "funny" stuff. Although, I do believe a few hang-overs were slept-off back in there. Also, both of you, thanks for the pat on the back for our efforts. We didn't think you noticed. Later, Gstar
dwolo
Gulf Coaster

Post by dwolo »

Well let me add how GREAT Gretta was to us Characters. She was always so much fun to be around. And after having lunch with her just last summer, I'm happy to say she's still the same!!!
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

Another Wardrobe memory-
Yes, we all owed a lot to the Wardrobe department, but don't think for a minute those ladies would pass up an opportunity to pile on an embarassing situation . . . :oops:

They had a special award for those of us who fell victim to the unthinkable :shock: :

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... m=60&pos=3

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... m=60&pos=2

Yeah, it wasn't bad enough that we had to tie a jacket around our waist while we hiked all the way to Wardrobe for an emergency repair . . . and then hang around in the back, goosebumps on our legs, waiting for the girls to fix us up (giggling the whole time, of course).
They held a little ceremony and awarded us with the gold mug.
And they made sure everyone knew about the award.
And I think they even kept a list of "award winners" . . .
Is that true, Gstar???

-PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

OMG Greta! I remember you too!!! It's Rick from Cash Control and (later) sales. You were always so damn much fun.

Here's a good memory for all of you - Wardrobe, circa 1989 or so. I can still smell the Reeboks from ERSC:

Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
sfgam
Gulf Coaster

Post by sfgam »

^ Is it still like that now?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Nice photo Rick. I like seeing the backstage photos. This one brings back some memories. Almost of us that worked at GA had to pass through here every day, even the non costumed employees.
gstar
Buzzy Bee

Post by gstar »

I have a memory of my very first shift in Wardrobe way back in August of 1976. I got in a few hours of work before we were told to evacuate the building. Back in those days, the Laundry area actually included dry-cleaning equipment and that evening the solution ("perk") had over-flowed. Apparently that stuff is quite dangerous if handled incorrectly. We sat outside for an hour... maybe, and then went back in to finish off the shift. What I absolutely loved the most about working in Park Wardrobe was the opportunity to get to know so many different people. For someone who was shy most of her childhood-I know those of you who know me may find that hard to believe-working in Wardrobe really gave me confidence to interact with people. I LOVED going to work. We worked hard but, had so much fun.
geostevphen
Gulf Coaster

Who is this

Post by geostevphen »

I had some of my best times at inlaws hanging with wardrobe. I heard things about hair dye that's make you blush and yet give you new ideas. My initials are SB and I worked from 84-94, did we overlap?
"Get the hel* of that railing, it's already busted; Fat A**" Heard over the WWR PA System as I left the ride to go to lunch, July 1986
TripplePlay93
Yankee Clipper

Post by TripplePlay93 »

sfgam wrote:^ Is it still like that now?
It looks exactly like that still, I love it.
Great America, My dream come true

Save Great America Raceway.
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

Post by Demonlover13 »

^Except for the territory signs and updated pop machines
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Last time I saw wardrobe it appeared the same as the pic, minus the signs; pop machines are now from the 90s, cieling tiles have been added, and the paint is white.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007