Tram-o-rama

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Tram-o-rama

Post by MGA1 »

During the Marriott years, there were several "traditions" that started and were carried forward year after year. One of the more interesting ones was Tram-o-rama. It was an annual intra-departmental competition sponsored by the parking lot crew. During the early afternoon on a pre-announced day, the parking lot crew would cone off a large section of the guest parking lot (against the I-94 berm near the big Great America sign).

The parking lot supervisors would coordinate and judge the competition. Tram drivers would participate in various "closed course" driving maneuvers. Some of the competition events I remember were "smoothest acceleration", "tightest turn" (without hitting anything), "best spiel", and "the slalom". In the slalom, the tram driver would have to drive the tram weaving back & forth between traffic cones while trying not to spill a cup of water that was placed in the center of the last seat in the tram. The driver who completed the slalom course in the shortest time without tipping over the cup of water was declared the winner. They even awarded fun little trophies to the winners.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
yankee Clipper91
Willard's Whizzer

Post by yankee Clipper91 »

I think that they use one of these trams for fright fest decorations at area 51 over by Sky Trek Tower.
RIP Sky Whirl (1976-2000)