1978 MGA Model on public display!!!!

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
Demonlover13
Tidal Wave

1978 MGA Model on public display!!!!

Post by Demonlover13 »

Hey guys. Turns out a 1978 model of the park is on display in the Carousel Plaza merchandise shop next to Pictorium. Check it out!
I need a great day this year, or 2, or 30!
jimmy gimbels
Yankee Clipper

Re: 1978 MGA Model on public display!!!!

Post by jimmy gimbels »

I wonder were it was stored for 30 years! The thing is huge. I am surprised 6 flags would give up so much retail space. I think this massive dispaly was part of a touring mall show that traveled around Milwaukee, Illinois and Indiana to promote the grand opening of the park in 1976. Southwest Territory is just labeled..."future expansion space."

Cool how the sides of display cabinet say "Marriotts Great America" even though it is obvious the sign painter had a hard day reproducing the Marriott script. Some of the small model pieces are a spot on reproduction of the building or attraction. Sky Whirl looks a little wobbly. The Delta Flyer and Southern Cross are scaled too far off the ground...they must by a mile up! And there are no cabins hung from the cables. Tidal Wave is way too long...it almost spans the entire park.

You must see it. Thanks for pointing out the model.
sfgam
Gulf Coaster

Re: 1978 MGA Model on public display!!!!

Post by sfgam »

^^ The model is of 1978 so i'm saying that it might not have been on display at a mall to promote the grand opening, but rather just to promote the brand new park.