Great America Alumni Day - June 26, 2011

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Gurnee
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Great America Alumni Day - June 26, 2011

Post by MGA1 »

Are any Marriott-era employees planning on attending "Great America Alumni Day"? If so, maybe you can post a reply here with your name, unit(s) worked, and years. Maybe we can find a few long-lost friends this way. I'd also suggest emailing SFGAMspecialevents@sixflags.com and request to be added to the Alumni Day mailing list...I'm not sure if they'll email or snail mail more information to us.

I emailed SFGAMspecialevents@sixflags.com about the upcoming "Great America Alumni Day" event and this is the response I received:
"Thank you for contacting Six Flags Great America. The Great America Alumni Day is on Sunday, June 26th. The discounted rate for this event is $36.00 per person and it includes admission into the theme park and water park as well as an all-you-can-eat picnic buffet in one of our private picnic areas. We are also in the process of planning additional activities such as a trivia contest, preffered show seating, memorbilia displays, exclusive ride time and more. If you would like to be added to the mailing address for this event please let us know. We hope to see you at Alumni Day!
Thank you,
Six Flags Great America"
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
marcos
Gulf Coaster

Re: Great America Alumni Day - June 26, 2011

Post by marcos »

Just posted on the park's Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1 ... 281&ref=nf

-Mark
dlmtechnology
Buzzy Bee

Post by dlmtechnology »

Went to it with a group of friends, afterwards I found out through the event organizer that Alumni Day was actually in jeopardy of being cancelled due to such low ticket sales for the event, but at the last minute they went ahead with the meal, some coupons, and a trivia contest (I think only two people entered and I won), as well as throwing some photos together. Nothing big, but it was still fun.

I had given my ideas for a better event next year (walkthrough of backstage buildings tour, meeting of the park president, a "family photo" around the reflection pond before the park opened, etc) but was told that due to low sales the event probably won't happen again.

It was a shame to hear that, as the price for it (which included a meal) was the reason I went otherwise I hadn't been there in almost 5 years.
NotBill
Yankee Clipper

Post by NotBill »

Probably because they didn't do JACK in publishing it, I never heard of it. This forum is one I stop by every few months and I missed it. We have a SFGA Alumni Group on Facebook they could have posted it and I'm sure they would have had a great response.

--Guy
Guy Finley
aka "Bill" Finley
SFGAm Employee 1988 - 1992
RLAiello
Tidal Wave

Post by RLAiello »

I don't think that SFGA Alumni group existed when the June Alumni Day was being planned. That group was created by Mike Foerster, former VP of Finance for SFGA, and has a lot of former full-time staff and management from the Marriott days onward. They are having a reunion on September 10th in Kenosha.

I'm not going, however-- As much as I love Great America, there are some people going to that reunion that I don't care if I ever see again.

In case you'd be interested in joining the group, here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/185212868202412/
Rick Aiello
SFGAm Employee 1988-1999
NotBill
Yankee Clipper

Post by NotBill »

I hear you, sometimes hooking up with friends from the old days invites the removal of scabs from the old days!

-Guy
Guy Finley
aka "Bill" Finley
SFGAm Employee 1988 - 1992