Santa Clara 1978

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
PizzaOrleans'78
Buzzy Bee

Santa Clara 1978

Post by PizzaOrleans'78 »

I remember...

Orleans place and of course my restaurant, Pizza Orleans. I think there's some enormous ride that hovers precariously over it now..

Frozen cheese and sausage pizza. Old Milwaukee beer. (yuck)

The 7 to 2 closing (drinking) shift.

Little gray vests with pink/green/blue shirts and gray slacks. All those tricky little access gates for the employees. The lunch area. Those ugly burgundy Jeep Cherokees.

Knocking over every traffic cone in the parking lots. Getting chased by security.

Cutting my index finger on a box of saran wrap.

And most of all, a drop dead blonde that worked at the theatre.

Good days 8)
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Welcome, PizzaOrleans'78!

Do you remember what brand of frozen pizza it was? At Gurnee, I always heard that they used Jewel frozen pizza. At Santa Clara, my guess would be that they used a Safeway brand. It was kind of hard to believe that they actually used frozen pizzas back in the early days. I never actually saw them, but I heard it from enough employees that I figured that there must have been some truth to it.

Steven
PizzaOrleans'78
Buzzy Bee

Post by PizzaOrleans'78 »

I really don't remember the brand but they did come individually wrapped in cheese or sausage versions only.

Not too bad if you were hungry.
imdaman
Willard's Whizzer

Post by imdaman »

The ride you mentioned over pizza orleans now is Top Gun, which is actually a pretty fun, and intense, ride. I still have pizza there, it's not bad.
The access gates, the same I'm sure now and yes it took me awhile to get used to em lol.
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

I love Top Gun. It's my favorite coaster in the park because it's so intense.
I miss Tidal Wave
PGAsecurity99
Gulf Coaster

Post by PGAsecurity99 »

I really don't remember the brand but they did come individually wrapped in cheese or sausage versions only.

Not too bad if you were hungry.

Once the pizza became fresh, it was OK. Frozen doesn't sound to good. I think it would be cool if CF could get Pizza My Heart in the park, and maybe a Quizno's.
1stgreenhouselady
Buzzy Bee

Re: Santa Clara 1978

Post by 1stgreenhouselady »

I worked in landscaping and I would take my breaks sitting under a water ride with some of the people from plumbing eating pizza and laughing at people on the ride. Great fun.
JimS
Buzzy Bee

Re: Santa Clara 1978

Post by JimS »

I worked in the Food Warehouse for a few years and was the Supervisor and did the ordering. The frozen pizza came out of Chicago I believe. I remember one year, 1979?, the truck rolled over outside of Las Vegas somewhere. Several hundred cases of pizza, cooking in the Nevada sun. Yuck. The pizza was bad, but at the time, I was not old enough to know great pizza.