1977-1980

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
Druzik
Gulf Coaster

1977-1980

Post by Druzik »

Hi everyone. This is Jay, and I worked at Santa Clara for the 1977 through 1980 seasons. During that time, I was lead of Rue le Dodge, Orleans Place and Hometown Trolley, Yankee Clipper, and The Tidal Wave. I also worked just about every ride in the Plaza, Orleans Place, Yankee Harbor, and Yukon Territory. I would love to hear from fellow Marriott brothers and sisters who worked during this period, and also welcome everyone. If you have seen the 1978 "We've Got a Great Day for You...." television commercial, I am very briefly seen spinning guest on the Lobster.
Jay Druzik, 1977-1980 Santa Clara Ride Operations
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

Welcome, Jay!

How many takes did you have to do for the Lobster spin for the commercial?

Steven
Druzik
Gulf Coaster

Post by Druzik »

Thanks Steven, and again, thank you for creating such a wonderful web site to celebrate the memory of our beloved Marriott's Great America parks. Before my employment at Santa Clara, I worked 2 years at Disneyland, and have worked at Disneyland for the last 20 years. Even so, I can honestly say that my 4 years at MGA were the most fun I have ever had in employment. It is so Great to be able to look back and remember those times.

By the way, I believe the film shot of me took about 30 minutes, taking several shots from several angles. I do remember signing a release form that stated that I could not appear in any advertisement for any hotel, restaurant, cruise line, or theme park company for a period of 5 years. (Those were the lines of business Marriott was engaged in at the time.)
Jay Druzik, 1977-1980 Santa Clara Ride Operations
brdwyguy
Yankee Clipper

filming

Post by brdwyguy »

Hi Druzik,
i worked in the Grand Music Hall shows from 76-78
i to remember them filming Silver Screen and having to sign a release -

we all got together and refused to sign the release unless it was changed to 2 years, instead of 5.

i agree that those 1st few years working at the park were some of the best years of my life - tiring and gruelling but worth it.

If you look at the Silver Screen commercial - I'm the one wearing the silver seq. tux --- or if you look at my profile picture - im the one in the middle.

Brdwyguy

welcome aboard
phonebone
Buzzy Bee

Anyone remember working "Casual Pool"?

Post by phonebone »

I worked in Ride Operations in 1977 in the "casual pool", so I got around and worked on many rides. I remember working Orleans Orbit, Sky Whirl, Buzzy Bee, Rue Le Dodge, Sasketchewan Scrambler, Logger's Run, Yankee Clipper and both ends of the sky ride, whose name escapes me; something like Angels Flight, with another name at the other end. It was 29 years ago :shock: so some of the rides' names are fading, but my last, longest and favorite assignment was the trolley! I think it was called the "Hometown and New Orleans Street Trolley". They took me off casual pool in late spring and put me on the trolley until the end of the season in 1977. Then I was in the Navy, and my Ride Ops career was over! :(

I remember working with Scott B., Genaro F., Shinaye "Rose", Carol, and a few others. Scott B. went into the Air Force. I wonder where they all are now? That was a fun group.

Scott C. aka phonebone
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Re: Anyone remember working "Casual Pool"?

Post by dpxtreme »

phonebone wrote:I worked in Ride Operations in 1977 in the "casual pool", so I got around and worked on many rides. I remember working Orleans Orbit, Sky Whirl, Buzzy Bee, Rue Le Dodge, Sasketchewan Scrambler, Logger's Run, Yankee Clipper and both ends of the sky ride, whose name escapes me; something like Angels Flight, with another name at the other end. It was 29 years ago :shock: so some of the rides' names are fading, but my last, longest and favorite assignment was the trolley! I think it was called the "Hometown and New Orleans Street Trolley". They took me off casual pool in late spring and put me on the trolley until the end of the season in 1977. Then I was in the Navy, and my Ride Ops career was over! :(

I remember working with Scott B., Genaro F., Shinaye "Rose", Carol, and a few others. Scott B. went into the Air Force. I wonder where they all are now? That was a fun group.

Scott C. aka phonebone
It was actually Eagle's Flight, and Delta Flyer.
phonebone
Buzzy Bee

Re: Anyone remember working "Casual Pool"?

Post by phonebone »

dpxtreme wrote:
phonebone wrote:I worked in Ride Operations in 1977 in the "casual pool", so I got around and worked on many rides. I remember working Orleans Orbit, Sky Whirl, Buzzy Bee, Rue Le Dodge, Sasketchewan Scrambler, Logger's Run, Yankee Clipper and both ends of the sky ride, whose name escapes me; something like Angels Flight, with another name at the other end. It was 29 years ago :shock: so some of the rides' names are fading, but my last, longest and favorite assignment was the trolley! I think it was called the "Hometown and New Orleans Street Trolley". They took me off casual pool in late spring and put me on the trolley until the end of the season in 1977. Then I was in the Navy, and my Ride Ops career was over! :(

Scott C. aka phonebone
It was actually Eagle's Flight, and Delta Flyer.
That's it! Thank you. As I recall, I only worked at the "County Fair" end, which I think was called Delta Flyer. Correct name? That was my first job there, and I recall being a bit nervous my first day (plus it actually rained that day), hoping nobody falls out of any buckets I loaded! :shock:
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

The County Fair end, which is now called Action Zone (County Fair is still there, it just got split up), was the Eagle's Flight station. The Delta Flyer station is in Orleans Place next to Top Gun.
phonebone
Buzzy Bee

Post by phonebone »

Rats, so my first day in '77 was so memorable, I forgot the name of the first ride ever I worked on. 29 years does something to one's brain. So, did I understand right, the sky rides are no longer in existence? I heard the train is gone, Sky Whirl is long gone, and I knew the trolleys were gone. Sheesh, anything left of the America part of Great America? :cry:

I drove past the park one morning a few years ago, and noticed someone had, er, 'modified' the sign near the main entrance. "Great America" had been changed by clumsily removing letters to ".,eat ^me`~'*" Clever, but NOT NICE. :shock: It was quickly fixed.
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

The sky ride is still up and running.
debbie lead
Buzzy Bee

mga alumni-1977-80

Post by debbie lead »

I worked the 2nd season the park opened. I was a Junior in high school. The first year I worked at Yukon Do It-fast food, then just a summer season 1978 in the popcorn kiosk just outside of the Grand Music Hall. My last two seasons I was lead theatre attendent for the GMH. I remember, "Broadway" , and "Music America". There are a lot of people I remember, but unfortunately, most of them are by first name only!
Sharon
Buzzy Bee

Re: 1977-1980

Post by Sharon »

Hi everyone! I'm Sharon, and I am one of the semi originals,a s I started at MGA- Santa Clara, in 1977 and worked two 'seasons' thru 1978. I started off at Farmers' Market for the first season, became a 'lead', and then later transfered and ended up in wardrobe, which wasn't all that bad considering I had my fill of washing pans in Pan Dandy! If you did it, you will remember! LOL! Unfortunately, like many here, I only remember a few names and luckily have a few photos from back then. Had to LOVE the two piece girls outfits that we wore. The lime green, yellow-yellow and the orange-orange tops with knicker bottoms, and the chef' tops and the black/white checkered pants. First I wore them, then later, washed them!

After all of these years, I still have a few 'treasures' from there. A 'Bugs Bunny' button( I guess it is now called 'flair') and a key chains.

I've read so many post remembering how fun it was working there. It was indeed,'Good Times'!

Glad that this site is here and hope to 'hear/read' from some other 'alums' in the future!
steven
Site Admin

Re: 1977-1980

Post by steven »

Welcome, Sharon! Thanks for stopping by here and sharing some of your memories!

Best regards,
Steven