Rue Le Dodge Sucks!

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Rue Le Dodge Sucks!

Post by dpxtreme »

I went to PGA today and my friends an I were in line for Rue Le Dodge (the best bumper cars in the world) and I noticed something different. I saw two signs with arrows pointing to the right, and I lookd towards the bottom and they added a one-way divider just like at the Boardwalk!! That sucks because now you can;t ram people that hard.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

What?! your kidding!
Anyone have a pic of this???
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

So they basically split the huge bumper car arena into two halves? That sucks.
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

I wish I was kidding. It's not split in two. It's basically a race track. You can only go one way and if you go the other way you get yelled at. My friends and I got out of line because it's not worth going on anymore.
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

GRRRR :evil: :evil: Killing Orbit wasn't enough, they had to destroy Rue Le Dodge too. :evil: Why can't PGA management ever do anything right? :x
It's Whizzer time!
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

dpxtreme wrote:I wish I was kidding. It's not split in two. It's basically a race track. You can only go one way and if you go the other way you get yelled at. My friends and I got out of line because it's not worth going on anymore.
They might as well change the name to "Orleans Gran Prix" then....:(

Think this might be their way of stopping people from becoming "agressive drivers"?
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

Sounds lamn, you'll never be able to ram your friends if your all going the same direction. I wonder if this is some sort Cedar Fair safety thing. because obviously the ride wasn't safe for the past 30 years. The gurnee ride was the same last time I was on it. In the past I use to try to build up a little speed around the perimeter before I drove into someone. ( I don't know if this is what one might consider aggressive or not) I also used to have a favorite car. I know it was burgendy but I dont remember the number on it (1 or 10 I think). I always thought that some cars seemed bit faster than others. The only part I never liked was that shoulder harness (which some people just put around their neck :shock: ). I dont know when these were added, but I think the are pretty useless. I'm sorry to hear sbout PGA update. Must be safety related. Who would ever have thought that a divider to be an improvement.
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

I guess this kind of gives you an idea on how Cedar Fair is going to manage GA then :(
Magic Hate Ball
Buzzy Bee

Post by Magic Hate Ball »

Glorfindel7 wrote:I guess this kind of gives you an idea on how Cedar Fair is going to manage GA then :(
Maybe it's just Paramount's having a last go at sucking.
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

I was at CP from the 2nd-6th and the bumper cars dont follow a track and didnt in previous visits. Im sure it was a dumb Paramount decision and I bet CF will get rid of it.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I'm not sure if I was the only one who wanted to see this, but their are pictures here:

http://www.norcalcoasters.net/photo.php ... d%20States.

This brings me to a question:
Are SC and Gurnee's Rue le Dodge the same size?
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

That is very sad indeed. :cry:

Its been a few weeks now that I've been out to the Gurnee Park, so hopefully the same does not happen out there.

And, to answer that_guy's question, I believe the Bumper Car buildings at both parks are the same size. At least that is what I get from looking at the picture you referenced.

--Brian
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

I noticed in that picture that at least a few people are going in the OPPOSITE direction of the arrow.....

The thing is most bumper cars ARE going in this direction unfortunately, sometimes a head on collision can cause injuries (especially when the cars used are so old the bumpers don't provide enough protection)
redfishpaw
Tidal Wave

Post by redfishpaw »

I believe the bumpers cars are made to handle head on collisions and that is part of the ride experience. Also, the bumpers on the cars have replacable innertubes. I helped out with the ride parts inventory in the warehouse during the off season one year. (which had absolutely nothing to do with my department) When I came across section for Rue Le Dodge, I found the innertubes interesting due to their unique size, so I inquired about purchasing one because I thought it would be neat for swimming, tubing etc. I knew it was a longshot and it took a week to get my answer. Turned out, the park was willing to sell me one. I think my cost would have been $158.00 (around 1990+/-), so I decided to pass on it.
DarkJak2050
Gulf Coaster

Re: Rue Le Dodge Sucks!

Post by DarkJak2050 »

If you guys are wondering what Rue Le Dodge is like, then this video I found on YouTube should fill you in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR3ogRIlplQ

This is taken from the 2009 season, and it's not my video. And another thing, I didn't work at Marriott's Great America at all. In fact, I wasn't even around during the Park's Marriott Era (wish that I was though :( ). I just thought I show you guys what Rue Le Dodge looks like now.