Rumor Mill: Went the the park this weekend.. heard some news

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
Shaggy
Gulf Coaster

Rumor Mill: Went the the park this weekend.. heard some news

Post by Shaggy »

I went to the park this weekend.. as I hadn't been to the park since July 4th I noticed a few changes. One, they are now referring to the park as "Great America" not Paramount's any more.. I also noticed that the employees had new name tags that had no company name just the employee's name.

I then stopped an employee and ask, "So the park has been sold?" They respond yes. I they asked what will the name be.. They said nothing was final but they think it could be "C. F. Great America" But the big news was that C.F. is looking to remove some big name rides. The two that this employee said has been talked about for removal was "Top Gun" and "Drop Zone." I can kind of see the logic of Top Gun in that it was very heavily themed to the movie so it's would require $$$ to remove that, but Top Gun is still a major draw and removing a ride like that would require a major addition or you'll loose guests by the truck load.

Again this was just hear say but still if they go that route this will be a very interesting off season.

Shaggy
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

OK, where do I start. I work at the park, and half the people I work with, didn't even know the park was sold.

1) It is nice that I don't have to hear the announcements say "Paramount's" all the time.

2) It'll probably just be called "Great America", not "C.F. Great America."

3) Top Gun and Drop Zone are NOT going anywhere!! Just because they are based on movies, doesn't mean anything. Top Gun could keep all the themeing because it has to do with fighter jets, airplanes, etc. in general. All they would have to do is change the name. As for Drop Zone, I didn't even know it was based on a movie until this year and it has no themeing referring to the movie.

4) The only ride that could have an issue with themeing is Survivor.

Other Stuff:

5) The Orbit could re-open because ut's just sitting there, and Cedar Fair might choose to open it again.

6) Centrifuge is getting rid of the "exit" position due to funding, and is only going to have a "control" position. (I was told by my supervisor who is also a supervisor at Psycho Mouse/Centrifuge.
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

The whole losing a position on Centrifuge seems funny... There were five people in the chicken stand last Sunday, two of whom did nothing practically and they are thinking of getting rid of a job on Centrifuge, hmmm
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

They finally got the magnetic gate working at Centrifuge, so now there is only the control position. And this was written in the newletter that Great America sends out. Make sure to read the very last sentence.

"They say time flies when you’re having fun. It must be true, because it’s hard to believe the 2006 Season at Paramount’s Great America is almost over. What a fun year we’ve had with you in the park’s 30th season! In the spring, you flocked to Hollywood Plaza to see SpongeBob SquarePants™, Patrick™ , and other NickToons™ for the one-of-a-kind meet-and-greet extravaganza, Meet the Nicktoons Live. The NickToons also joined you for breakfast and showed up in full force September and October in the award-winning Nickelodeon™ Celebration Parade. You thrilled to the heart-pounding, nonstop excitement of the park’s newest attraction, SURVIVOR The Ride™, and in the summer, dove in, splashed down, and cooled off in Crocodile Dundee’s Boomerang Bay Beach Club™.

You also enjoyed a lively array of spectacular shows, from the electrifying SCHOOL OF ROCK Live in Concert, to the fun-filled Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera in the Action FX Theatre, to the sensational Backyard Circus—plus riveting performances at Spring Celebration and by singing sensations Aly & AJ and LeAnn Rimes.

As autumn set in, we again brought you Nick or Treat, Northern California's Nickelodeon-themed Halloween experience for kids 12 and under. (Note: Just a few more days to enjoy this 'spooktacular' event. . .don't miss it!)

We hope this newsletter has been fun and informative. Special thanks to our many guest writers who shared their experiences on these ‘electronic pages.’ Next year, Paramount’s Great America will be back. . .and better than ever. See you opening day, March 31, 2007. In the meantime, stay tuned for more on our newest attraction, sure to make waves!"
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

I wonder if this means that the "Tidal Wave" is coming back to PGA ?
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

^Way off. The park is getting a new wave pool next season for Boomerang Bay.
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

^ I dont think he was being serious. (atleast I hope he wasnt serious)
It's Whizzer time!
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

^ Nope, I wasn't ;)

(But I'd love to see Tidal Wave back at SFGAm... but that's a topic for the OTHER forum)
Station1
Gulf Coaster

Post by Station1 »

There would have to be another reason they would remove any of the rides with movie/Parmount titles or themes as Paramount Parks was licensed to use those names & associations and when the Cedar Fair group purchased the park it aquired the licenses for those attractions. They actually purchased the company, Paramount Parks, which (of course) included the parks.

Has any other park gone through so many owners??!!

Marriott
City Of Santa Clara
Kings
Paramount
Cedar Fair

Kind of impressive it survived through it all, especially after the first change of ownership.
84-85 Area Host - Hometown
86-87 Rides - Whizzer (86) Revolution (87)
1987 Rides - New Orleans (Rue/Delta/Orbit)
88-89 Rides - New Orleans (" " RR Rapids)
89-95 Loss Prevention - Station One