Area Hosts

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
Atarifan49
Buzzy Bee

Area Hosts

Post by Atarifan49 »

Anyone here ever work as Area Hosts - the one's who kept the themed areas clean and cleaned the bathrooms.

I worked during the 1982 and 1983 seasons. I tried to come back for the '84 season but they wouldn't hire me because I was on delayed enlistment for the Air Force.

I worked in the Carousel Plaza and Hometown Square areas most of my time there. Occassionaly I would work other areas when they needed support for a lunch break or big event days like 4th of July. Once in a while I filled in with the Sky Tower ride doing the opening and closing of the ride doors. The job wasn't glamorious but it was good employment while I was going to high school in Santa Clara.

I worked with some interesting characters in that job. Two I remember were Tim Street and Bob Edmington. I also remember one Ride's Supervisor that wasn't too well liked was Lori. I don't remember her last name though. Reflecting back, she was just doing her job. You can't always be the one everyone likes.

The ride employee nights were fun times also. Getting either free run of The Edge or having free run of an arcade were good times. Getting to see a bands like Jefferson Starship or Y&T for $3 was a nice benefit of working there.

I have to admit that the one true advantage to my job was the freedom to move around. The few times that I helped out on a ride could be pretty painful in all the standing you had to do. The ride operators had some glamour with their job but all that standing probably sucked big time.

I don't recall any serious ride accidents while I was there. I do remember Willard's Whizzer (or The Whizzer). That one had a rep for some deaths on it due to lack of seat restraints. Years later during a visit I've seen they took that ride out. I believe I've seen that exact ride at a theme park near Cour 'd Alene, Idaho.

Glenn
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

There was only one death on the Whizzer. The accident occured when two trains bumped in the loading area. The death had nothing to do with only having seatbelts.

You may have seen a similar ride in Idaho, but the only exact copy of Whizzer is Whizzer at the Gurnee, Illinois park.
It's Whizzer time!
Atarifan49
Buzzy Bee

Post by Atarifan49 »

WhizzerSFGAm wrote:There was only one death on the Whizzer. The accident occured when two trains bumped in the loading area. The death had nothing to do with only having seatbelts.

You may have seen a similar ride in Idaho, but the only exact copy of Whizzer is Whizzer at the Gurnee, Illinois park.
Thanks for the clarification on that.

The place I was trying to remember in Idaho is called Silverwood. I do recall it did look quite similar. Whizzer wasn't a bad ride.

Glenn
scott murphy
Buzzy Bee

area host

Post by scott murphy »

I think the supervisor you mentioned is Lori Hardin. She was my supervisor the whole time I worked there: fall of 1980-fall of 1982. I was a lead on columbia/sky tour during the 82 season.

She and I always got along well and I enjoyed working for her, but she did rub some people the wrong way.

The other two "characters" you mentioned arent' ringing a bell for me.
Atarifan49
Buzzy Bee

Re: area host

Post by Atarifan49 »

scott murphy wrote:I think the supervisor you mentioned is Lori Hardin. She was my supervisor the whole time I worked there: fall of 1980-fall of 1982. I was a lead on columbia/sky tour during the 82 season.

She and I always got along well and I enjoyed working for her, but she did rub some people the wrong way.

The other two "characters" you mentioned arent' ringing a bell for me.
Yep, Lori Hardin. Boy, that brings back memories.