Knott's Great America!?

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Knott's Great America!?

Post by dpxtreme »

http://www.screamscape.com/html/great_america.htm

I even have a hard time believeing this. But I'm still calling it Great America just like I've always have, so it's no biggy.
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

It's weird that it could be rebranded as Knott's since its not the company name. I think it would make more sense to call it Cedar Fair's Great America. I hope Cedar Fair can work something out so they can use the name Great America.
Go Bears!
WhizzerSFGAm
Yankee Clipper

Post by WhizzerSFGAm »

I really do not like this idea. If there is a legitimate legal issue with using just "Great America", fine, put something else in front of it, but Knott's Great America just makes no sense.
It's Whizzer time!
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

Ugh Knott's Great America sounds horrible! Its not like it would change how I call the park, whats wrong with just Great America? (I've heard of the legal issues but why then are they allowed to have Great America on the website, for so long, etc.) It makes no sense to put Knotts on...
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
BrianPlencner
Tidal Wave

Post by BrianPlencner »

While one page does say it, its not on all of them at this point. So, this could just be a typo on the Dorney page, or the fact that the other pages have not been updated yet.

For example, if you go out to Dorney Park's webpage, and read about the Maxx Pass, you see this

http://www.dorneypark.com/public/trip_p ... s_central/
A Cedar Fair Maxx Pass is good for admission to Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom and the other 12 Cedar Fair amusement parks, including Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH; Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, CA; Michigan's Adventure in Muskegon, MI; Valleyfair! in Shakopee, MN; Worlds Of Fun in Kansas City, MO; Geauga Lake & Wildwater Kingdom in Aurora, OH; Kings Dominion in Richmond, VA; Carowinds in Charlotte, NC; Kings Island in Mason Mills, OH; Knott's Great America in Santa Clara, CA; Canada's Wonderland in Toronto, Canada; and Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, CA.
Yet, if you go to Cedar Point's page, and look at their info on the Maxx pass, you see something different.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/admiss ... s/info.cfm
Your MAXX Pass is valid for admission for the duration of the 2007 season. at: Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH; Geauga Lake and Wildwater Kingdom in Aurora, OH; Michigan’s Adventure in Muskegon, MI; Paramount’s Kings Island in Mason, OH; Paramount’s Kings Dominion near Richmond, VA; Paramount’s Great America in Santa Clara, CA; Paramount Canada’s Wonderland near Toronto, ON; Paramount’s Carowinds in Charlotte, NC; Bonfante Gardens, Gilroy, CA; Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, CA; Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom in Allentown, PA; Valleyfair in Shakopee, MN; and Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, MO.

While anything is possible at this point, I think we need to keep an eye on things and see how this shakes out.

Personally, I would rather the park be called "Great America" instead of having the name Knott's in front of it.

--Brian[/b]
===========================================
Mr. Brian Plencner
SFGAm Employee: 1988-1992
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

If you notice in the above captions from Dorney, BOTH local parks are using the updated names, Knott's Great America and Gilroy Gardens. So it looks like that website is the most up to date, and that CF just hasn't formally announced the new name for the park yet.

When I first heard it, I didn't like it either. But, I think I like the name Knott's Great America more than Cedar Fair Great America. It is just easier to say. Not that I would. If I was to refer to the park, I'd still either call it just Great America (if I'm talking to someone locally) or Santa Clara Great America (if I'm talking to someone on the boards who might confuse it with its Gurnee counterpart).
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

retlawfan wrote:I'd still either call it just Great America (if I'm talking to someone locally) or Santa Clara Great America (if I'm talking to someone on the boards who might confuse it with its Gurnee counterpart).
I think that's probably why they didn't just call it Great America. Still I never really liked the name Knott's (After all the Great America in Santa Clara is Knott's really the Great America we all remember from our past.)
jonrev
Tidal Wave

Post by jonrev »

Has any of the Paramount's Great America signage changed yet?
Gurnee Ride Op - 2007
Loco
Gulf Coaster

Post by Loco »

Well according to screamscape...GA might not add "Knott's" to their name this season
News - (3/20/07) It seems there is a little bit of hesitation from Cedar Fair about just when the time is right to Knott-ify the park. Since last week, the “leaks” at the Dorney Park website confirming the first official use of the “Knott’s Great America” name in several places all seem to have been fixed back to just say “Great America”. Screamscape sources also tell us that the state of the park itself is kind of a mess right now where the old Paramount logo is still up in many placed around the park, including the large sign at the main entrance. I don’t know if Cedar Fair worked out a deal with Six Flags or not, but we’ve heard that the park may actually open and run for most of the season under the plain “Great America” name, holding off the final re-branding into “Knott’s Great America” until the end of the season, probably when they start to pre-sell the 2008 season passes.
While at first this may seem to be an even worse idea, since the park is already suffering from an identity crisis, I’m starting to think that perhaps the decision to Knott-ify the park just came too late to make all the required changes all around the park. You might think it would be an easy thing to do, but there is an amazing amount of work that goes into changing the name of a park. It’s just not just a quick change of the big sign out front and the graphics on the website, we’re talking about items that need to be swapped out all over the park from name tags for every employee, id cards, napkins, trashcans, ride logos, letterhead, brochures, plus the signage throughout the park on gift shops, restaurants, food carts and rides. Then the swapping out of endless reams of paperwork and I don’t even want to think about all the park branded merchandise issues. Plus it’s not as simple and swapping out one sticker for another, since there are whole “design” issues that have to be worked out as well. I’m sure the staff at nearby Six Flags Discovery Kingdom are finding all about this kind of thing right now, but at least they are still keeping their Six Flags brand identify. So if you visit the park early this season and things are still a little jumbled, then you may want to cut them a little slack. Just take the time to photograph things the way they are for the history books, because changes are coming.
LS202
Gulf Coaster

Post by LS202 »

I had not heard that the name was going to change to Knotts. I drove past the park last week and it still had the Paramount on the sign in front of the park. Why can't it just be Great America?

Strange about Bonfante Gardens changing their name as well, I wonder why?
Laura Carousel Souviners 85-86
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

^ Someone said, I'm not sure where, it was to make Gilroy better known, but I don't see how this helps if everywhere they say "Formerly Bonfante Gardens"...
The rides are GREAT, the shows are GREAT, the fun is GREAT, at Marriott's Great America! REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA, REMEMBER Marriott's GREAT AMERICA!
that_guy
Tidal Wave

Post by that_guy »

I don't think Knott's is going to help keep them apart much... see what Paramount did:

http://www.californiaparamountgreatamerica.com/

Different Park entirely: http://www.homeandabroad.com/c/3/Site/8 ... visit.html
Glorfindel7
Tidal Wave

Post by Glorfindel7 »

that_guy wrote: Different Park entirely: http://www.homeandabroad.com/c/3/Site/8 ... visit.html
So what park IS that in that website? Looks like Six Flags GREAT ADVENTURE, Not Great America...

:shock: :shock:

And those other pictures are the former "Shockwave" at Six Flags Great America, NOT Paramount Great America .... Hmmmmm....
SFGAmfreak4life
Willard's Whizzer

Post by SFGAmfreak4life »

In the picture it shows what looks like Shockwave and Superman:Tower of Power at Six Flags Over Texas. Shockwave is blue and in the picture the coaster is green. It could be a differnt Six Flags park so if I'm wrong someone correct me.
Go Bears!
tillenterprises
Gulf Coaster

Post by tillenterprises »

SFGAmfreak4life wrote:In the picture it shows what looks like Shockwave and Superman:Tower of Power at Six Flags Over Texas. Shockwave is blue and in the picture the coaster is green. It could be a differnt Six Flags park so if I'm wrong someone correct me.
You're right- that is Six Flags Over Texas