THE VERY LATEST

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

THE VERY LATEST

Post by Stealthguy05 »

http://www.nbc11.com/news/13672880/deta ... =mainclick

4year old dead! Great America is closed.

2:32 pm today

My Deepest sympathies to the famlily and the lifeguards who fear they "failed"
Last edited by Stealthguy05 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

Oh no. That poor family. I will be praying for them. This is very tragic. :(

Well, at least the child is in a better place. :)

I actually read about wave pools long before this and heard that they are potentially dangerous. I myself have been at the Great America wave pool, and I am a skilled swimmer, yet with the waves it got very tiring quickly. Perhaps they should put warnings that strong swimming skills are required.
I miss Tidal Wave
retlawfan
Yankee Clipper

Post by retlawfan »

Slight correction: Boomerang Bay (the water park area) was closed. The rest of the park remained open as usual.

Sad news.

:cry:
Great America Security
Santa Clara
1989-1992
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

PGA ROCKS wrote: Perhaps they should put warnings that strong swimming skills are required.
They already do have a small sign at one side of the pool like the ones at the entrances to the slides saying just that.

Still even the news anchors on all channels commented on how the mom should haved helped and not just stand there and wait for the Lifeguard

EDIT:"The wave pool in Great America's Boomerang Bay where the boy drowned is closed pending investigation" thats a quote from Lentz
NorCalDude
Buzzy Bee

Post by NorCalDude »

That is really sad. Even though the wave pool is not really that deep, the fact that the waves never stop makes up for it. I thought it would be the same as Raging Waters where the waves come and go every so often. When I first went into the wave pool I thought to myself, "Perfect timing, we got here right when the waves started." After 10 minutes, I was like, "damn!", these waves don't stop!!

My prayers go out to the family.
NorCalDude
Buzzy Bee

Post by NorCalDude »

I think the status of Great Barrier Reef is going to be in relation with the Superman Tower accident and the towers around the country. Most or all the towers except the Superman Tower reopened. I think the rest of the waterpark will reopen soon while the wave pool will remained closed until after the investigation.
PGAsecurity99
Gulf Coaster

Post by PGAsecurity99 »

The situation is very sad. I have a 3 1/2 year old, and a 15 month old. They do not leave my side in our pool, I surely would not let them in a wave pool until they are much older.

I agree, the childs mother should not have relied on the lifeguards. If she and/or her child had poor swimming abilities, neither of them should have been in the wave pool. I hope this traggidy makes GA enforce more strict rules for Boomerang Bay. Hopefully Gurnee (and all water parks across the US) will automatically get more strict for Hurricane Harbor.
PGAsecurity99
Gulf Coaster

Post by PGAsecurity99 »

retlawfan, is this Rob Anderson?
soupkid
Gulf Coaster

Post by soupkid »

[quote="NorCalDude"]That is really sad. Even though the wave pool is not really that deep, the fact that the waves never stop makes up for it. I thought it would be the same as Raging Waters where the waves come and go every so often.

I think I read that the maximum depth of the pool is 6 feet. Even so, to a four year old, it wouldn't matter if the maximum depth was 60 feet. It sounds like the mom was relying too much on the life guards instead of taking care of her own child. Someone that little should never have been in there. I've never been in that pool, but I have been in other wave pools before. I'm a big guy, but sometimes those waves knock me over.

I pray for peace to the family.
Security Officer/Dispatcher 1986-1988
Park Services Tool Crib 1985
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

soupkid wrote:I think I read that the maximum depth of the pool is 6 feet. Even so, to a four year old, it wouldn't matter if the maximum depth was 60 feet. It sounds like the mom was relying too much on the life guards instead of taking care of her own child.
My thoughts exactly. While I feel sympathy for the family, why did the mother let her 4 year old into the wave pool? It's intended for skilled swimmers that can handle something like ocean waves. That's why they have the Boomerang Lagoon (kids swimming pool). It's only 3 feet deep and no waves. That sounds a lot safer for young children.

On a different note, this never would have happened if the park kept Stealth. :(
I miss Tidal Wave
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

PGA ROCKS wrote: this never would have happened if the park kept Stealth
Oh you had to rub it in didn't you? :evil:
PGAsecurity99
Gulf Coaster

Post by PGAsecurity99 »

PGA ROCKS wrote:
this never would have happened if the park kept Stealth

Oh you had to rub it in didn't you?
I watched them build Stealth, and I was among the first ever to ride it. I feel your pain.
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

The wave pool has been closed :( it is still unclear whether or not they will open it next year.
PGA ROCKS
Tidal Wave

Post by PGA ROCKS »

Noooo!
I miss Tidal Wave
PGAsecurity99
Gulf Coaster

Post by PGAsecurity99 »

I cannot find a link to post, but while watching the Channel 2 news last night, they reported that the wave pool will re-open today.