2008 Park Map

Share your memories of working at Marriott's GREAT AMERICA in Santa Clara
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

2008 Park Map

Post by dpxtreme »

The 2008 park map was just released.

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/DOCs/08cga_parkmap.pdf

Besides the addition of FireFall and the new Flight Deck name, Drop Tower is still shown as Drop Zone and Hollywood Plaza is now Celebration Plaza. Looks like Hometown Square and Carousel Plaza are never coming back. Sticky Fingers also has a new, long name. (#13 on the map).
Stealthguy05
Gulf Coaster

Post by Stealthguy05 »

dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

^Thanks. I can't believe they forgot to change Drop Zone to Drop Tower on the map.
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

At the second link, I'm getting the 2007 map right now.

Steven
Robman97
Gulf Coaster

Post by Robman97 »

I knew about the Sticky Fingers thing at the end of the season the sign was up and every thing. One day i had notticed it while i was riding phyco mouse.
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Their website is being really bizzare today. Through out the day, the map keeps changing from the 2008 to 2007 map.
ttd rox
Yankee Clipper

Post by ttd rox »

dpxtreme wrote:^Thanks. I can't believe they forgot to change Drop Zone to Drop Tower on the map.
The name Drop Zone was a lot better and cooler sounding then Drop Tower. I'm not sure why they're changing that. It is kind of weird why they are going back in forth between the two maps though. I wonder when Six Flags Great America's 2008 omes out.
Whatta day! Whatta place!

Top 3 Coasters: 1. The Incredible Hulk 2. Maverick 3. Dragon Challenge (Fireball)
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Almost no original "regional" themes left

Post by MGA1 »

I haven't been back to visit Great America in Santa Clara since 1993. I worked in Guest Relations during the 1990 and 1991 seasons and then moved to Atlanta. Shortly after 1993, most of the employees I was closest with had graduated college and moved on to other things, so it became less exciting to plan a trip out West.

In looking at the new 2008 park map & google satellite views, I'm amazed at how much the park has changed. The only two original theme lands I see on the map are Orleans Place and County Fair. I know during the KECO years, the parks were really showing their age but it looks like Paramount did a pretty thorough job of erasing the original Great America themes (which were suppose to represent different regional geographies within the USA...hence the name of the park).

The most shocking change for me is to see the park without the train and it's landscape berms in Orleans and Hometown Square. The train wasn't one of my favorite rides, but it had some nostalgic value and the landscape berms worked so well to separate the different theme areas as well as provide some nice thick green forest-like environment to partially hide views into the ugly central service corridor.

The other major change is directly outside the front of the park. OMG, they sold some of the parking lot directly in front of the main entrance and put up office buildings? Wow, that's really had to change the sight line views from inside the park (as well as almost completely hide the park when driving on Great America Parkway).
Last edited by MGA1 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
steven
Site Admin

Post by steven »

MGA1,

The year of your last visit to the Santa Clara park was the same year as my first visit. That was the first year under Paramount. For me, the most painful loss was that of Sky Whirl / Triple Wheel. The loss of the train was pretty bad, too. The berm between Hometown Square and Carousel Plaza was removed along with the train station, track, and trestles.

The office buildings on former parking lot land have all of the impacts you've noted. And now they are raising a protest against the new coaster for 2009.
Robman97
Gulf Coaster

Post by Robman97 »

Steven,

Whats this protest about the new coaster for 09', I have heard nothing about this?
dpxtreme
Tidal Wave

Post by dpxtreme »

Here's the short. Anything 35 feet or taller built in that area of the park has to have a permit to be built. Since the coaster is way taller than that, the businesses are complaining about the noise the coaster will cause.
Robman97
Gulf Coaster

Post by Robman97 »

Ok thanks I think thats kinda dumb I under stand the 35 feet part but didn't the businesses know it would be loud if they chose there office to be next to a amusment park.
Tech Services 1
Willard's Whizzer

Post by Tech Services 1 »

Robman97 wrote:Ok thanks I think thats kinda dumb I under stand the 35 feet part but didn't the businesses know it would be loud if they chose there office to be next to a amusment park.
Your mistake is, you are looking at the issue logically. :D
You should never assume people are capable of logical thought.

It's the same as the never-ending stream of people who buy a house next to a busy airport, then complain about the noise of the jets flying overhead. :shock:

-PPG
Technical Services technician
Gurnee park '81 - '86

Eegads, has it been that long?
Robman97
Gulf Coaster

Post by Robman97 »

^ Well I guess your right never really thought of it that way I guess. :)
TripplePlay93
Yankee Clipper

Post by TripplePlay93 »

I would protest the new coaster for a different reason, it just seems strange to built a coaster around Star Tower (that is the name right, I love by the Gurnee park)
Great America, My dream come true

Save Great America Raceway.