rare Marriott's GREAT AMERICA Preview Center music

Your questions and suggestions related to the GREATAMERICAparks.com site are welcome here. Information about site updates or changes will also be posted here.
steven
Site Admin

rare Marriott's GREAT AMERICA Preview Center music

Post by steven »

Here's a really special treat:

http://www.greatamericaparks.com/images ... ?pos=-1676

Enjoy! Does anyone remember the Marriott's GREAT AMERICA Preview Center?

Steven
MGA1
Willard's Whizzer

Re: rare Marriott's GREAT AMERICA Preview Center music

Post by MGA1 »

Steven, thanks so much for sharing this. I had never heard this song before (at least not that I can remember). I lived in the Chicago area in the '70s. I vaguely remember hearing about a Great America preview center at Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, IL but I never got there to see it. I'm surprised how close many of the original buildings resembled the concept art in this video. I was surprised that they didn't have all the names of the original theme areas finalized before the video was made (New Orleans became Orleans Place, The Yukon became Yukon Territory).
"...and enjoy the rest of your day here at Marriott's GRRRREAT America"
steven
Site Admin

Re: rare Marriott's GREAT AMERICA Preview Center music

Post by steven »

Thanks, MGA1!

I had similar thoughts about the names of the themed sections in the song. I wonder if there was just some artistic license used to help them fit into the song better. Also, "New Orleans" would register more easily with the public than "Orleans Place". "Yukon Territory" would have been more of a challenge to work into the lyrics. About the concept art, it's clear that some showed a park that was much more detailed and elaborate than what was actually built. Some of the renderings are much closer to what was actually built.

Also, just to clarify, this is not a video that was shown in the Preview Center. The music is from the Preview Center. But I put together the visual lyrics and the slide show of selected concept art to go along with the original music. I've added this clarification to the description for the video.

I'd still love to hear from someone who went to the Preview Center. I wonder what they actually showed in that Bugs Bunny Theater -- and if any copies of it are still around.

Steven